Main Menu

3D Printers

Started by Re-Vision, August 01, 2013, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

There is a lot of advancement in 3D printers at this time but one big enough to print side covers for motorcycles is pretty expensive so far.  They do have a variety of materials that can be used, nylon being one.  So far the stuff I see is pretty small.  I did see some electric guitars that had 3D printed bodies at the NAMM show in January, and that would require 14" X 18" or so to make those.  The larger printers are significant;ly more expensive, and they are becoming more complex all the time as the ability to print in multiple materials is being explored.  I don't know much about these things but follow a few engineering newsletters and 3D printing is a common topic.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

I've got a delta 3D printer that could do it. It's a Rostock Max printer from a local (to me) company called SeeMeCNC. The machine has a build envelope that's about 11" in diameter by 15" high. I've not printed anything that large yet, but the machine could definitely do it.

There are 2 main obstacles that you'd face.

1 is that printers can't easily bridge between pieces or print parts with overhangs and unsupported surfaces. You'd either have to design the part with some type of support underneath the domed top surface or you'd have to turn on the support structure generator and see what comes out.

2 most people don't realize what the surface texture of a finished 3D printed part is. It's definitely not a smooth paint quality surface. Since the machine can only print one layer at a time (mine is set up for .2mm layers currently) you end up with a stair-stepped outside shell instead of a smooth flat surface. You get a Mayan pyramid instead of an Egyptian one. To combat this, a lot of the printing guys have found that you can heat acetone and smooth out the jagged edges of a printed part with the vapors. A lot of guys have had really good luck with this, but I haven't tried it yet.

A 3D printer is useful for hundreds of other things, but I think you'd end up with a nicer motorcycle sidecover by using your existing ones to make a fiberglass mold.

fret not

I think 3D printers are a great idea and will someday be as useful as we might hope they are now.  They are still a relatively new technical innovation in our culture and have yet to be more fully developed and assimilated into more common use.

Jimustanguitar

I've wondered about other 3D printable bike parts though.

Velocity stacks
Gauge Mounts
Throttle sleeves (twist grips)
Signal Stalks (hell, the whole housing)
Odometer Stems

I've even thought about the possibilities of whole carbs and intake manifolds. I'm not sure the stability of ABS around gasoline though, and I know that it can't take the heat (my printer extrudes soft ABS at 210C). Some guys are printing with higher temp Nylon though, haven't tried that yet.

You're right that 3D printing is in its infancy, but it's the tinkerers and designers that aren't scared to try something that will make it a real possibility for the rest of us. Plus, there are some pretty key patents that become public domain this year. Not to mention the inevitable flood of Chinese knockoffs that are sure to come. They're already at the $300 price point, and a year ago $500 was the impossible number to beat. It's definitely coming to your neighborhood soon :)

fret not

A 3D printer that uses laser sintering with metal powder could make your manifold that won't melt from the engine heat, but I don't see those in my price range yet. ;)

The Prophet of Doom

Jimustanguitar

How about a Cobra?
http://3dprint.com/36433/3d-printed-shelby-cobra/

I've been working on a 3D printed quadcopter (I refuse to call it a drone because it's not autonomous, it's just an RC helicopter, and it doesn't have the capacity to lift much more than its own battery, let alone something dangerous). It's been a neat project so far. It's been valuable to teach me how to draw in a CAD program again. I've been using DesignSpark Mechanical, which is an absolutely amazing free CAD program. Powerful, parametric, and easy to learn. It's based on modifying solid objects instead of extruding multiple sketches that are hard to edit later...

Anyway, here's my project's photo album. Hopefully I'll be flying in a week or two!
http://imgur.com/a/saqbM

Re-Vision

I'm waiting on a 3-D printer that copies whatever I put in it and asks me what material I want the copy made of. I'll first print side covers from a high-temp plastic that can be powder coated. No end to what the future may hold.     BDC

Jimustanguitar

Regardless of whether it's printable or not, does powder coatable plastic even exist?

fret not

Rather involved project you got there, Jim.  Did you design it?

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: fret nut on February 03, 2015, 02:17:03 AM
Rather involved project you got there, Jim.  Did you design it?

I did. I designed and drew every piece, it's been an awesome project!
I should have more appropriate props in the mail tomorrow, so we'll see if she flies then!

(right click and "open image in new tab" if your browser is really zoomed in)

fret not