Is my XZ550 a European Model?

Started by ghostrider, August 13, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostrider

If you look at the front brakes, you will see dual rotors.  Does that mean that my model is European?  If so, will it pass the state inspection?

Rikugun

I wonder if this is the same bike I saw in a Philadelphia (Fishtown) ad for $200 a while back?

Looks like a north American 1983 model to me. Passing inspection will be a matter of it's condition and the whims of the inspector. Make sure the steering neck bearings, fork seals, brake material thickness, tires, etc. are OK as well as all the lights work. Some guys test ride them some don't so make sure it runs and rides ok before taking it in.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

ghostrider

Quote from: Rikugun on August 13, 2013, 10:11:48 AM
I wonder if this is the same bike I saw in a Philadelphia (Fishtown) ad for $200 a while back?

Looks like a north American 1983 model to me. Passing inspection will be a matter of it's condition and the whims of the inspector. Make sure the steering neck bearings, fork seals, brake material thickness, tires, etc. are OK as well as all the lights work. Some guys test ride them some don't so make sure it runs and rides ok before taking it in.

I actually purchased this one in Ambler, which is not too far away from Fishtown.  If you are a regular craigslist lurker, chances are you saw this listed. 

As far as it riding ok, it does have carb issues but I was able to ride it around my parents development, but only in 2nd gear.  Hopefully that qualifies as passable.

I thought the dual brake rotors were the indication that it is European?

shep1

Dual disks arrived on North American visions in 83 with a few other improvements over the 82.Full fairing,improved mono shock and more.More of a sport/touring bike in 83.I have three 82 bikes with 83 fairings added on two.Yellow bike also has 83 front end with dual disks as shown in avatar. 

ghostrider