News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Return of the Triple

Started by Rikugun, August 11, 2013, 11:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Has anyone been following this? Last year Yamaha released a crossplane triple engine concept presumably to be used in some yet to be seen models. Earlier this year pictures were released of the 2014 FZ09 that uses the 847cc triple. Looks to be going after the successful Triumph models and with a very reasonable MSRP they might just do it - assuming the bike is as good as they claim.  :)

Styling wise it may be one of those love it or hate it things. It's taken me a while to love the Speed and Street Triples but I'm there now. This new Yamaha has similar lines so I'm OK with it and really appreciate the technology and features. If the exhaust note sounds a sweet as the Triumphs I'll be hooked.  :D

June online CW article here and in Sept magazine issue out now. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/06/11/2014-yamaha-fz-09-first-look-review-photos/
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

Hmm, I wonder what kind of alternator it has?

Rikugun

Well, it's a triple so 3 phase of course!  ;D  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

The charging system is is shown in a cutaway drawing in the magazine. I think I am impressed with the bike so far, the 414lb wet is nice! Fairly flat seating position, upright handlebars, naked bike looks good to me.  VMester and I were talking about it yesterday, back of seat is smallish for the passenger.  $8,000 is good price for something with that much new technology
" border="0

QBS

All true, really love the light weight.  For me, it would need some type of fairing/windshield (preferably frame mounted), and a Scotoiler chain maintenance system.

jefferson

I see one of those nasty chains!

shep1

Looks great and Thanks for the pics.That tank on certain angles sure looks like a 31 year old bike I ride.Look forward to hearing that exhaust note.

Rikugun

Here's video of the European version "MT-09"  Looks like a real hooligan bike!  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs3RTfu3QC8

Jimustanguitar

The MT series looks really mean and rude. I like it. I've been hoping that somebody from Canada will buy one and import it for me to buy used... For dirt cheap of course :)

fret not

I have a hard time accepting the $8,000. price as 'reasonable'. In 1971 I had the choice of a new Norton Commando or a new Honda 750, each under $2000.   Maybe I'm becoming a dinosaur.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

Unless you're looking at a 250cc bike, 7-10 seems to be the "normal" list price of a new bike. Fancier models (like BMW and Ducati) are normally in the 12-16 range, and the really specialized models like the Vmax are 20. Obviously the sell price is usually lower than list.

Buell sells his race bike for 30, and if you we're looking at a Motus or a Bimota you'd spend even more. (How's that for a hodgepodge of dissimilar models, huh?)

I wonder what the conversion for inflation would be. I know that my folks bought a 20k house in 74, and it would sell for 80 now. I also remember my dad giving me heck for buying a banged up '67 mustang for 1500 when he bought a 2 year old one (in the 60's of course) for 600.

It's just money, I'm not gonna take it with me when I go so I might as well spend it and have fun on 2 wheels, right?

The Prophet of Doom

In 1986 a big mac cost $1.40 an RZ350 was $3,499  ie 2500 big macs
Now a big mac is $4.56 so a bike cheaper than about $12k is cheaper than the RZ was when it came out

Rikugun

Quote from: fret nut on September 04, 2013, 11:43:18 PM
I have a hard time accepting the $8,000. price as 'reasonable'. In 1971 I had the choice of a new Norton Commando or a new Honda 750, each under $2000.   
It would be interesting to calculate what they would cost in today's dollars!

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on September 04, 2013, 02:19:59 PM
The MT series looks really mean and rude. I like it. I've been hoping that somebody from Canada will buy one and import it for me to buy used... For dirt cheap of course :)
You can buy your very own at the end of this month right here in the US! That's when the FZ is released and if I'm not mistaken they are the same bike with different designation for different markets.

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on September 04, 2013, 02:19:59 PM
You can buy your very own at the end of this month right here in the US! That's when the FZ is released and if I'm not mistaken they are the same bike with different designation for different markets.
[/quote]

It's a v-twin actually, so different model. It's the MT 01 that I really like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MT-01
Looks like it's discontinued now.

don_vanecek

There are so many neat bikes put out by the companies today, wish I could aford a dozen of em.  But afraid the Vision and the "Connie" I bought this summer will have to do on my budget.  Doubt I will ever wear the "Connie" out.

Rikugun

QuoteIt's a v-twin actually, so different model. It's the MT 01 that I really like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MT-01
Looks like it's discontinued now.
Oh, that is rude lookin!  :) So they replaced the V twin MT with the MT triple in the European market? I guess that's why you went with the Buell??  :)

js9_20

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on September 05, 2013, 02:58:00 AM
In 1986 a big mac cost $1.40 an RZ350 was $3,499  ie 2500 big macs
Now a big mac is $4.56 so a bike cheaper than about $12k is cheaper than the RZ was when it came out

So, since you put it that way...  About 4 years ago, I bought my first Vision for the equivalent of 22 Big Mac's...  Awesome!   :)

QBS

Regarding statistics:  I learned this a long time ago in a marketing course,....You've got lies, damned lies, and then statistics.

artbone

Quote from: Rikugun on August 11, 2013, 11:05:56 AM
Has anyone been following this? Last year Yamaha released a crossplane triple engine concept presumably to be used in some yet to be seen models. Earlier this year pictures were released of the 2014 FZ09 that uses the 847cc triple. Looks to be going after the successful Triumph models and with a very reasonable MSRP they might just do it - assuming the bike is as good as they claim.  :)

And bike companies and motorcycle magazines have never lied to us before, right? Always remember, bike companies are in business to sell bikes and bike magazines are in business to sell ads to bike companies.

I've been traveling and just caught up on my bike mag reading last week. I really liked the looks of this bike and I've always had a soft spot for triples. The one thing I noticed is that they don't mention ABS. The next new bike I buy (as if I buy a new one every year or so) is going to have ABS and any bike that doesn't have it is a nonstarter in my book. I can't see how Yamaha threw so much new technology at this bike and left that off.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

stuntdriver

Quote from: artbone on September 22, 2013, 10:07:45 AM
I've been traveling and just caught up on my bike mag reading last week. I really liked the looks of this bike and I've always had a soft spot for triples. The one thing I noticed is that they don't mention ABS. The next new bike I buy (as if I buy a new one every year or so) is going to have ABS and any bike that doesn't have it is a nonstarter in my book. I can't see how Yamaha threw so much new technology at this bike and left that off.

Art

I'm interested in this bike, and from a few articles I have read recently;
"ABS version will be available in late December and while the price has yet to be announced by Yamaha, it's expected to be a £400 extra"

I am thinking of getting one in two years and if so it will be one with ABS.