News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Tools to own for maintenance

Started by ghostrider, August 19, 2013, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostrider

Can anyone provide guidance over which tools I should own for performing maintenance?

Somethings that I think I'll need:

Voltage Meter
Various wrenches and screwdrivers

What else would be helpful to have?

Jimustanguitar

You'll eventually want to have a manometer or sync sticks. The homemade ones just don't do the trick very well.

Aside from your "normal" sockets and wrenches, make sure you have a good set of allen wrenches and allen sockets. These bikes use a ton of them.

PwrManDan

When it comes to the allen keys, I would get both a long and short set.  I would also get a set that has the ball end for tight quarters.  Don't use the ball end on extremely difficult to break bolts.  You don't want a ball to break off in a bolt head.  You can get them pretty cheaply at Harbor Freight.  I got mine at Lowes I think and they were $30 for a 6 piece set of the long ones.

PwrManDan

torque wrenches
e-ring pliers specifically made for master cylinders.  You can make it without them, but it isn't any fun.

ghostrider

Quote from: PwrManDan on August 19, 2013, 12:55:44 PM
torque wrenches
e-ring pliers specifically made for master cylinders.  You can make it without them, but it isn't any fun.

good looks, i didnt consider torque wrenches.  also, how do i know if e-ring pliers are made for master cylinders?  Do I need to them from a Napa auto parts or something?

QBS

Relatively high dollar, but I sure wish I'd bought one 25 years ago: ultrasonic parts cleaner.

Fuzzlewump

At some point you will need a very long, skinny flathead screwdriver for adjusting the idle mix on the carbs. Also helps to have a long skinny phillips head for tightening the airbox down to the carb throats.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

The Prophet of Doom

You'll need the special XZ550 tappet adjusting tool
Flywheel puller (to do your inevitable starter clutch rebuild)

There are a bunch of tools in the manual that you'll need if you start doing engine work

PwrManDan

Quote from: ghostrider on August 19, 2013, 01:58:43 PM
Quote from: PwrManDan on August 19, 2013, 12:55:44 PM
torque wrenches

good looks, i didnt consider torque wrenches.  also, how do i know if e-ring pliers are made for master cylinders?  Do I need to them from a Napa auto parts or something?

you can find them on the internet.. http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Master-Cylinder-Snap-Ring/dp/B001DDAETA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376964533&sr=8-4&keywords=snap+ring+pliers+for+master+cylinder