Worn Steering Head Bearings - Not causing wobbles?

Started by Glider, August 27, 2013, 01:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

I'm wondering if cranking down some preload on my tapered neck bearings might help?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Yous is the first instance of not having a hands off wobble, in 13 years of dealing with the vision, congratulations!! 

Rikugun,  a little pre load is desirable on tapered rollers, just don't over do it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

My '83' was very stable with hands off until about 70k miles.  Now, at 88k, it definitely has a hands off wobble.  I haven't felt the need to replace the roller steering head bearings yet.  The OEM wheel bearings and swing arm bearings are probably contributing factors.  Never the less, the bike is still very stable through turns and straight on as long as I'm holding the hand grips.  For now that's good enough for me.

Rick G

Mine was always  very stable and predictable, except when I tried to remove both hands from the bars . It would then start an osculation that would have  dropped me on my head in about 10m feet it I didn't grab the bars.
This is a recreation of an old thread , first discussed in 2002 or 2003 . No one found a cure . I replaced my head bearing,s  repacked the swing arm bearings and replaced the front wheel bearings . It still waged its head. Since it didn't  act up when my hands were on the bars , I dismissed the problem.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike