Intermittant single cylinder

Started by Neil, August 23, 2013, 10:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Well guys, I checked all the connectors again...maybe this time with my brain working better. You were right, I had connected the reg/rect connector to the igniter box. Dumb mistake. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!  :-[  The lights work properly now, but the no spark/no start condition remains.

That connector is, unfortunately, the same as the correct one but it does have different color wires. With the box assembled in place, the wire length is barely enough to make the wrong connection, but with the box off it's mounting plate, the plate off it spot on the frame and all the wires and connectors out and loose the wrong connection has enough length to fit right in. That's how it was because I was adding dielectric grease to all the connectors as a precaution after taking care of the yellow/black rev limiter.

So, now I'm in search of a working igniter box.

fret not

I hope everyone takes a good lesson from your misfortune.  I would much rather learn from the mistakes of others than from my own, but human nature being what it is we really do learn more from the pain of our own failures.

Rick G said Sunburnedaz has some TCI boxes, and you also might check with Tiger, as he was getting fried boxes repaired.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

spldart

Wow! Timing. Just today I was coming up to my exit on the freeway. I was doing about 60. I had two abrupt and significant power cut outs. And at the same moments my 83 550 did this the tach dropped to nearly half the rpm I was actually doing. As I exited the freeway it didn't happen again and I got home with the bike acting normally. So... I need to disconnect a wire off the *hitachi igniter box* to eliminate false over rev single cylinder cut outs?

QBS

Disconnect the rev limiter wire, clean the ground location at the coil mounting, clean the low tension (12vdc) connections to the coils, and see what happens.