News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

More Problems

Started by Conrad, August 25, 2013, 07:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad

Hey everyone.  I'm having more trouble with my Vision, and I was hoping y'all could help me figure out the problem!  Here are problems:

1) Lots of lean (I think?) popping when I let off the throttle
2) Very weak idle, no matter the temp
3) Low power up to ~5 or 6k rpm
4) I'll give it some throttle and it won't really respond for about a second, then it will jump forward
5) While trying to hold a steady speed, the bike will buck a lot

To try and fix this, I:

1) Cleaned my carbs
2) Cleaned and coated the carb boots with black liquid electrical tape
3) Made new gaskets for the boots
4) Synced the carbs, and adjusted the mixture screws to stock settings
5) Made sure my battery was fully charged

The reason why I'm confused right now is that for about ten minutes right after syncing my carbs, my bike ran like a dream.  Rode it to a parking lot, turned it off for fifteen minutes, and started it back up again only to have all these problems come back...  If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it! 

George R. Young

My guess is you still have junk in either the pilot jets or the little passages in the throat near the butterfly.

pullshocks

I think George is right.  I have been through this myself several times, and even when a good job is done, the pilot jet is very susceptible to plugging.
I suspect you did get them clean, but crud has migrated from elsewhere, possibly the fuel pump.

To confirm, set the enrichener/"choke" to full.  Then back off the idle speed adjuster til the RPM is 1300 , i.e. normal idle speed.  Go for a ride, see how it runs.  If it gets better, chances are one of your pilot jets is plugged

Once you do get them clean, ride the bike often!  Sitting for a month is plenty of time for crud to form

Conrad

Unfortunately, if I set the enrichener to anything besides off or 1/2, my bike won't hold an idle.  I try to ride at least 3-4 times a week, and pretty regularly put seafoam in my tank.  I'll try pulling the carbs off when I get a chance though, see if its the pilot jets.  George, are you talking about the pump nozzle?

QBS

In line fuel filter installed?

George R. Young

Quote from: Conrad on August 26, 2013, 12:16:30 AM
. . . George, are you talking about the pump nozzle?
This is not the clearest diagram in the world but it gives some guidance.
http://ridersofvision.net/Technical/Carbs/carb2.gif

The pilot jet and screw on the right feeds gas to the hole hole on the engine side of the butterfly and a bunch of little holes in the throat near the butterfly.

These little holes act as transition ports so that when the butterfly opens and uncovers more of them, they add to the gas flow.

It's just as important to clean them as the pilot holes and jets.

Conrad

Quote from: QBS on August 26, 2013, 02:07:40 PM
In line fuel filter installed?

One of the first things I did.

Quote from: George R. Young on August 26, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
Quote from: Conrad on August 26, 2013, 12:16:30 AM
. . . George, are you talking about the pump nozzle?
This is not the clearest diagram in the world but it gives some guidance.
http://ridersofvision.net/Technical/Carbs/carb2.gif

The pilot jet and screw on the right feeds gas to the hole hole on the engine side of the butterfly and a bunch of little holes in the throat near the butterfly.

These little holes act as transition ports so that when the butterfly opens and uncovers more of them, they add to the gas flow.

It's just as important to clean them as the pilot holes and jets.

Ok, thanks.  I'll make sure to check/clean them!

Conrad

So I haven't really had the time to pull the carbs off, so I just decided to run a bit of seafoam through, see how that went. Worked like a charm after about 20 miles or so of hard riding!  I know it isn't a permanent solution, but it drastically helped.  All that's left is to fine tune my mixture...  Thanks guys for the advice!