Kiwis! Anybody got a reg/rect??

Started by tig5, August 26, 2013, 10:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

I'm shopping for one. I see the CBR600RR unit is compatible. Are there any other models that  are compatible that anyone knows of?

Cheers

fret not

Also CBR1000RR starting a year or two later than the 600.  there is a thread on the <eviltwinsbk.com> site re Reg/Rec mods that covers this pretty well.  Good luck in your search.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Guerrero

now,when i am educated in this :D
you can read this
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14447.msg132053#msg132053

and,yeah.for me stands the same question,which one to buy?

Rikugun

For what it's worth I had a CBR600RR MOSFET unit die on me this spring. It was used from Ebay and installed (in the stock location) along with a new stator. I'm not sure if heat killed it but it got hotter than I originally thought living behind the battery box.

I replaced it with an identical unit and it has begun to show sigs of failure as well. Both failed after the unit was warm and recovered as it cooled although the first failed in a way that caused a significant drain (i.e. short) where the volt gage suddenly dropped to 10. I disconnected it and reduced electrical consumption to limp home.

The current one fails by reducing system voltage gradually. It's most noticeable at idle where it won't maintain a charge rate but rather a deficit condition exists. When the problem started I assumed it was just a matter of time before complete failure but relocated it anyway as an experiment and to provide a cooler environment for future R/R's.  :)  I moved it to an aluminum plate mounted between the battery and alternator using the engine mounting bolt and installed a 3.5" fan on it. It ran much cooler and I eventually tried it sans fan. It still seemed to run at an acceptable temp but on a recent ride it showed signs of voltage drop again. At this point I doubt it has anything to do with removing the fan but rather it's days were numbered after the initial damage was done. I'm going to reinstall the fan just to see how long it lasts but have been carrying a spare with me since this all began.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Hi Tig,

I ended up with a used MOSFET style R/R from an FZ. off Trademe There are others that will work. Have a look at this posting.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14447.0

Generally get something off a larger bike and having tails instead of plugs makes it easier to adapt to the XZ. I mounted mine behind the battery box in the normal place, but on an angle to get some varied airflow. Seems to run nice and cool and so far so good. Others mount a 12v computer fan on top or relocate the R/R from behind the engine into some clean air.

"Clean air" thats' the stuff Jimmy Spithall want in SF right now. 2 up to the Kiwis in the Americas Cup. Yay!
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550