News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Nice shiny metal

Started by tig5, September 06, 2013, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about doing some painting and polishing while I wait for my replacement R/R.

The swingarm is rusty and I've found the metal looks quite nice if it's sanded and polished. However it flash rusts within a day and I'm wondering if there is a decent way to keep it clean and shiny? If I sand and polish can I then clear coat or is the clear coat likely to fall off the bare metal?

I'm also going to polish the rear footpeg plates and the engine itself and I'm wondering if I could use the same technique with some heat proof clear coat. I've found these pieces of metal polish up nicely and don't seem to rust but are prone to tarnishing and discolouring quickly.

Anyone done any work like this? I'm doing most of my work with a cordless drill and some polishing/sanding discs and brushes. Also leaving most parts on the bike where I can.

Re-Vision

Ace Hardware makes an aluminum paint that some Visionaries use, I can get you the part number if you are interested.    BDC

Jimustanguitar

POR 15 makes a nice silver epoxy paint. I've used that before and been very pleased with the finish and durability.

NITROPOLIS

I'm in the middle of a rebuild, every part bead blasted, polished or painted. If you you use a 2 part clear it will work.

tig5

2 part as in a primer first?

I have no doubt about POR-15's durability.....I get a lot of paint on my body so I might avoid that one.

When you say aluminium paint is it a clear coat or coloured or either? I'm in New Zealand so I'm not sure if a part number will help but perhaps a brand name.

Thanks

Re-Vision

The aluminum paint is called Ace Chrome Aluminum (253A110 Aluminum) Ace 16446. Lucky recommended this paint a while back, I bought some but haven't used any yet. It's colored similar to the engine color.      BDC

NITROPOLIS

Rick G

Nearly all clear coats fail  with time ,some just take longer than others.  A two part will be an  epoxy , you add a hardener  , similar to modern paints.
Personally , if i go to all the trouble to remove the old clear coat  (and i did) I'm not going to put some thing on it that i have to remove again.
I polish it , usually once  a year , with semi -chrome , and it  stays very nice.  I even stripped the nasty , ugly black coating on the fork sliders and polished them too!  The foot peg/muffler mount will polish up well to . Originally bikes had all the aluminum polished , but as production numbers increased  with Japanese bikes , the had to find a faster/cheaper way , to the sprayed everything silver or clear. . I.n a traditionalist , give me polished aluminum .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tig5

Yeah the footpeg plates are coming along quite nicely. I still haven't decided what to do with the break brace and the swingarm, maybe polish and clear coat or maybe one of the chrome spray alternatives.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Re-Vision on September 06, 2013, 12:55:52 PM
The aluminum paint is called Ace Chrome Aluminum (253A110 Aluminum) Ace 16446. Lucky recommended this paint a while back, I bought some but haven't used any yet. It's colored similar to the engine color.      BDC

Used it on mine and it looks good and has held up well over the years.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)