News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Vintage Days at Barber - Anyone going?

Started by artbone, September 14, 2013, 12:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I'll be there in the same place as last year. I won't have a motorhome this time, probably be in a Dodge minivan, but I'll have the banner out and cold beer. Stop by if you're in the area.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

VisionMeister

I won't be able to go this year...too many family things have been going on.
Last years trip was really worthwhile, I want to make a return.
I did go to the AHRMA vintage races at Sears Point which were entertaining but couldn't hold a candle to the Barber's experience. While visiting the garages at Sears, I was talking to one of the riders about Barbers and told him I had taken my Vision and ridden the parade laps. He said he had seen the V and that it was the only one at Barber's. I got to talk to a lot of people that had owned Vision's back in the 80's.
I would highly recommend that anyone with the means to make the trip to Barber's, to go and visit Artbone at the Norton Club camping site. Take your Vision and you will have one of the most unique vintage bikes at the meet 

Walt_M.

That is on the bucket list, just not this year. I'll be retiring in January so next year has possibilities.
Whale oil beef hooked!

artbone

There's two groups when you talk to people about Visions. One group actually rode or owned a Vision and most of them loved the bikes.

The other group never sat on one but read all the crap that was written about them in the moto mags in the short time they were around. All they want to talk about is the "Vision Stumble." None of them know about Team Goodtimes winning the 550 Production class in 83 on a stock (supposedly) Vision. They are very fast motorcycles on a road course in the right hands. In the 83 24 Hours of Nelson Ledges it started to rain as we were sitting on the starting line and Team  Goodtimes lead the race for the first six hours.  Not just the 550 Production class but the whole race.

When I rode in the La Carrerra Panamericana a few years ago, Kevin Schwantz was the guest of honor and he took a long look at my 83 and said, "My first race bike was a Vision. I really liked that little bike."

That's about as good a recommendation as you could ask for.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rikugun

Quote from: artbone on September 17, 2013, 10:10:39 AM
There's two groups when you talk to people about Visions. One group actually rode or owned a Vision and most of them loved the bikes.

The other group never sat on one but read all the crap that was written about them in the moto mags in the short time they were around. The few people I encounter that even know what it is seem to fall into the latter group.

When I rode in the La Carrerra Panamericana a few years ago, Kevin Schwantz was the guest of honor and he took a long look at my 83 and said, "My first race bike was a Vision. I really liked that little bike." That's about as good a recommendation as you could ask for.
That is way cool!  :)  :) 
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

artbone

I was there and I was lonesome for some Visionary company.  :( The event just gets bigger and better every year. ;D
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

Art, how about a report or some stories? 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Single Carb Vision

fret not

Barber Motorsports Park and Museum is in Alabama not far from Birmingham.  World class race track and super world class museum.  Vintage Days is a vintage race schedule and the museum should be open, happens every year around early October.  Look up the web site.

Single Carb Vision

That would be an awful long ride from Ca. Let me think, how badly do I want a cold beer (if I was included). Thanks for the info.

artbone

Quote from: fret nut on November 07, 2013, 01:26:18 AM
Art, how about a report or some stories?
Sad to report, I didn't get a single picture because I was having trouble with my eyes. Therein lies a story.

I had made reservations with the Norton Group to have a trailer space in our favorite spot and was really looking forward to the event. I was planning to go to Indianapolis for a week for eye surgery , then fly to Atlanta, pick up a motorhome, spend the weekend at Barbers, then fly home.

If you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.

Know the old saying, "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?" Well, I found there's a whole lot of things better than a poke in the eye with a sharp object. The cornea graft didn't take, so I was close to blind in one eye when I told the Doc, "look, I've had my eye poked about as much as I can stand for the time being. What about if I take the week off and come back later?"

He said "Okay," so then I had to find a way to get to Birmingham without flying because I had a bubble of air in my left eye that would not react well to the cabin pressure in an airliner. They didn't outline exactly what would happen if I decided to go against their advice but my imagination was enough to dissuade my from trying it. Luckily, my friend in Indy had introduced me to a guy who was planning to go, had a neat old Airstream trailer, and needed a place to park it at the event. Not only that but he lives in a 50s Moderne house, his daily rider is a '55 BMW, and he and his son race a 250 BSA at Bonneville and hold the record in their class. It was obviously a match made in motorcycle heaven and we had a lot to talk about on the 600 or so miles to the event.

For those of you who don't know about Barbers, it's the brainchild of George Barber, a retired businessman from Birmingham and goes to show what one man can accomplish with just good taste and forty-five million dollars. Google "Barber Motorsports Park" and you will find all you want to know and more. A modern, five story, purpose-built building housing over 1500 motorcycles, the world's largest collection of Lotus race cars, a collection of vintage outboard motors, a state of the art machining center and a vintage restoration center, surrounded by meticulously landscaped grounds and a world-class racetrack; it's a must-see destination for anyone who calls himself a Motorcyclist.

In addition to racing, there's an auction of old and rare (and expensive) motorcycles, a swap meet that's more like swap meets used to be before the dealers took them over, a Wall of Death, all sorts of dealers booths, the pits are open and free, trolleys run continuously around the track so you don't have to walk. Really guys, everything in this place is first class. To give you an example, I was visiting the museum on Saturday and saw the man himself, Mr Barber, chatting with another man. I waited until the other gentleman left and approached Mr. Barber and introduced myself. I said "Mr. Barber, I just want to thank you for creating this place on behalf of all motorcycleist."

He said, "Thank you Art. No matter how many times I hear that, I always enjoy hearing it. But, Art, tell me this. What can we do to make your experience better the next time you come?"

I had to think about it a few seconds but finally said that I needed to recharge my camera and phone and it would be really nice if there were charging stations around like at the airports. He replied, "That's one I haven't heard before. We'll put it on the list."

To me, that sums up the place and the man. He's created one of the most unique motorsports venues in the world and all he wants is to make it better.

The weather was perfect, the racing good, the folks friendly, the bikes beautiful; it was about as perfect as life gets for an old gringo biker.

We had an easy trip home, the docs fixed my eye and now I'm typing this without glasses, all the racing seasons are over (except ice racing) and it's time to think about winter. Not just Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. For us folks that live where I live it means getting some bikes ready to ride 'cause it never gets too cold down here to ride. Our MotoClasico bike club meetings are starting to get bigger with all the snowbirds coming down. We need to plan our Christmas/New years  swimming party at the hot springs.

Think I'll take the 83 over to the shop, change the oil and filter, and ride over the mountains to Santa Rosa for a shot of mescal.

Yo'all come see me, hear.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

Thanks Art. 

Hmmm . . . San Miguel de Allende . . . . . .Oh, I can dream.

don_vanecek

Wow Art, now I want to go there, wish they would hold it however about two or three weeks earlier in the fall,  it's just about that time in the year here in the midwest where a guy may go south in sunny 75 and find a find it rainy and 35 on the way home.  Well I shall put this on my bucket list!