News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

air cleaner

Started by TROY, September 18, 2013, 05:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TROY

Hi everyone
I have had some trouble with my air cleaner box and that flap. I have seen that on some of the members photo that they have put pod air cleaners on. Are they any good and what do you do with the pipes that go into the old air cleaner box.
Are the pod air cleaners better then the airbox?
Troy Busselton

Walt_M.

Best to keep the airbox. You WILL have driveability issues with pods. Do you have the modified airbox with the vacuum flapper or the original with the spring?
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

What kind of problems are you having with the airbox?

I agree with Walt... don't waste your time with pods... you'll end up with more problems.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: TROY on September 18, 2013, 05:46:18 AM
I have had some trouble with my air cleaner box and that flap.
What sort of trouble? Generally it's easier to fix troubles than to make mods work.  Do you have a vacuum actuator on the top of your airbox?

I have seen that on some of the members photo that they have put pod air cleaners on. Are they any good and what do you do with the pipes that go into the old air cleaner box.
There are bikes out there with pods, but most riders here don't have the measuring equipment or tuning background to successfully do mods like this.
The pipes are crankcase vents.  These would usually be routed to a separate catch can.

Are the pod air cleaners better then the airbox?
With pods you will be able to flow more air and your bike will sound like it's on steroids, but you will need other mods to make them work properly and there is no general agreement as to what those mods should be.
If you just change your airbox for pods it is guaranteed to be worse (this has been tried many times).  I think you would be well advised to have a properly running stock setup before attempting such mods.

TROY

The problems i have with the air box is that i had the wrong air cleaner for a start.
i have the vacumm flap on my bike and it kept on getting stuck on the sharft that goes to the flap.
The next part was that the flap seemed to stay open and not close properly making the bike choke (i think)
i am glad i asked about the pod cleaner before going out and buying them..

and the reseason for asking about the pod cleaner is that it would be a lot easer to take apart when cleaning the carby and i thought it would help with performance.

Thank you
Troy Busselton

Fuzzlewump

If your main concern is that the air filter isn't a good fit, you can find an aftermarket filter made specifically for the Vision. It has one corner cut at an angle so the flapper rod won't rub against it. Dennis Kirk sells the filter, if I remember correctly. You can do a search here on the forum for "air filter" or check the Parts and Upgrades thread for the part number. It is inexpensive and a perfect fit.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

The Prophet of Doom

Fuzzlewump is speaking of the UNI brand

TROY

Thanks. i have ordered one. But an other question i have is it true that sum people have glued coins to that flap to stop it opening so soon which  helps with the stumble?
Thanks again.
Troy Busselton

fret not

Weights on the flap were an attempt to remedy the situation before the vacuum flap control was introduced. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

TROY

Troy Busselton