News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Is the frame no. right ?

Started by xz550uk, September 30, 2013, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xz550uk

Hi All.

I have a 550 which I need to replace the frame. I have a donor one but im suspect about the number as the documents say it starts with a 3 and the frame looks like it starts with an 8 . Is this just a 3 looking like an 8 or is there something dodgy going on ?  Did they sell more than 8k in Europe? Please help .....thanks all....

Jimustanguitar

Is that the only number that's different? Both numbers are the same length and it's not a leading digit to indicate frame number vs engine number or something silly like that?

It seems like the ones at the beginning would be the make and year and country, and the ones at the end would be the unique ones...

I'd look it up in the manual, there's a VIN decoder in them most of the time.

Sable

Sometimes on VINs, the 8 has a flat top that make it look odd, and also like a 3 if the paint is faded or the frame is corroded around the numbers. I have seen this on other import bikes.
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Rick G

Sable . we have not seen you here in a long while ! Welcome back!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Sable

Thanks Rick, I've been lurking for the past few months.. my V  was in storage for the last 8 years while living in a condo.. now that I am in a house, I have a garage to work on her and get her running again. Just gonna be a few more weeks before I get everything unpacked and out of the garage!

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker