News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

The Sport Fairing Project (end of the saga)

Started by Extent, October 18, 2004, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Extent

Got some more work done on painting the prototype.  As soon as I get the surface perfectly polished smooth I can make a female mold and get ready to make an actual part, wheeeee!!

Here's the fender and quarter fairing primered

And coated with a flat black.  This mold is going to be clear coated for a perfectly smooth non porous surface.  The test part I'll paint flat black with yellow stenciling.  The final carbon fiber piece will be painted with automotive paint and cleared.

And here is a look at things to come.  This is the 2nd clear coat after a round of wet sanding.  This stuff dries nice and fast so I just may finish this part tomorrow night.

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

*doh* wrong settings on my forum.  links fixed.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

louthepou

You know, I think some Vision owners might eventually ask you to make them copies of these parts...

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Extent,  I have used mic stands for painting my bike also!! My amp is an endtable, and my mixer is a table in my bedroom!!  Every so often I dust off the Les Paul....... one day I will play all of the time again.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I still think it looks like Shrek's nose  ;D ;D

Extent

this better?

Maybe I'll have to do a green one as well ;D

The thought had crossed my mind Lou, but I'm going to wait till I've got the thing closer to being finished before trying to guage interest.  If I'm going to make more than one or two (for myself) I'll have to look into getting some tooling gel.

I must be going crazy, I'm not even near being done with this and I'm already starting to think about making a second design.

Superfly

It looks good, (minus the ears! :o) I have been working out my own design also, I just recieved my Vetter fairing mount kit, & I am going to work off of that.  I had one of the small fairings that attached to the headlamp assembly, and mounting was always a problem for me, so I am going to start with the mounting, and build around that.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Keep the ears - they look like a great place to mount the mirrors!

I like it even though I agree with Lucky's observation that it does have a resemble Shrek's nose a bit.  May be just a function of photo angles & the way it is currently sitting.  Looking forward to seeing a finished prototype mounted on your V!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Humber

Hey man, from the very beggining I have kept my fingers crossed!!!! Although I am pesymist and I thought u would not manage.....

I like all you showed us, as a former RC model maker, I realise that such projects are very time consuming and from time to time u may feel like sending it all to hell without finishing....

But.... much as I like the final product.... much as I appreciate your effort.... much as I respect your taste..... :(

I just can't see these fairing on this bike. It would look awesome on some modern machine, but it is too "curved" and "rounded" for the old "square Vision".......

PS. an idea....
maybe u should have used an axle and chop it a little bit instead  of using a sanding paper when doing final refinishing???? ::) ;)

nie ma podpis?w

Extent

Working on a new bracket to hold the 1/4 fairing in place, I've got the side pieces mocked up for the most part (one on the right of the bike I did backwards  ::) but I'll correct it when I do it w/ rod or replace it with just a flat piece of steel)  There'll be two cros braces along the front to keep it from shifting that'll also act as mounting places for the headlight and the dash/guages.

Since I had that up and I've got the materials test piece done for the 1/4 fairing I clamped it up so it would sit in place.

Gaaaarr! I'm an ogre!  :P

And a 3/4 angle shot

I've been riding with that fender for about 2 weeks now and no chips or other major problems with it yet.  *fingers crossed*

The whole thing is positioned differently than I made it originally, so the side pieces from my original carving aren't right anymore, but I taped up the one so the "shoulders" match up the way they will.  The front "scoop" area won't stick out as much, and the rear portions will extend further to match up with the boundries of the tank and frame.

EH

Very well done, you will have every biker scratching their head wondering what they just saw. The fender is high style.

Extent

I've got the mount about 90% done I think.  It wobbles around a little bit but that should go away once I get the bottom bracing on the headlight in.

Now just for alot more pics

The guages are just taped in place right now, as I'm sure you could see.

Extent

Well I'm feeling really good about this right now.  Finally got to a point where I'll say the mount and 1/4 fairing are "done".  I'm going to try to pull a couple hundred mile shake down run tomorrow and give it a good road test.  I may have to add one more set of braces to dampen vibrations at the front, but I'm not quite sure yet.  I also think I'll add one mount at the chin of the fairing, but I don't think that's a critical piece so I'm going to leave it out for now.  If all goes well then it's back to prototyping in foam  ;D

I'll try to get some daylight pics tomorrow if I can.

As always we start with a front shot.  The little brackets holding up the turn signals are for just until I can get around to making reflectors and lenses for the nostrils

Sideshot shows the bracing to the bike's frame.  The radiator shroud won't fit without modification and I'm reluctant to do that since it would look hideous when running the bike naked with a hacked up shroud.  So I'm just going to integrate a shroud into the design for the lower portion of the fairing.  Also note the horn thrown in sideways, I was too lazy to take the whole thing off to drill a hole to put it in facing forwards, so it just ended up there ::)

Here's the top of the headlight, showing how it's mounted up.  With the headlight in this way it can be loosened up and tilted up and down with the side supports removed.  As it is I'm already running at the absolute lowest adjustment for the headlight, so having that physical adjustment in the stay was important for this stage

Here is from the front left of the bike, you can see how the piece that mounts below the head of the tank wraps all the way around as a single piece, you can also see just how tilted up the headlight is ( I blame it on not having the headlight when I did the original carving for the front *doh* )  The wide thin piece holds up the guages.

And finally peering down into the stay from the rear.  Not too much too see here except a better angle of the mount for the guages.  That random blue wire is just for my voltage meter

Humber

though you did a wonderful job, the final product doesn't match to the line of the Vision..... just looks stupid.... my opinion...
nie ma podpis?w

supervision

hey nice work!  take a look at this site for fun;   eurospares.com   this guy must be related to you...  there's great info, I like the artical on hydroforming  exhaust pieces.   Dave
" border="0

Lucky

You know Humber, i've got to give you credit for having balls! all this guys hard work & all you have to say is nice job, looks stupid...
well, while you do have a right to express your opinion, you might want to take a course on 'Tact'.  Nice to see you can cut someone down one minuet & beg for help with Ebay shipping the next....

--Lucky

Extent

Heh, I have seen far too many web forums where all anyone does is pile on "good job"s for absolutly anything that comes along, and that bothers me more than anything else.  Many times people will say good things even if they don't mean them, but it's not often you find someone who says bad things without meaning it  ;)  If people aren't interested I'ld rather have people say so, so I can save myself the time of doing mini writeups as I go along, rather than getting page after page of disinterested pats on the back (not that I'm claiming that's what's happening here.)

Humbler,  Your buddie who does the windscreens, can he make slight modifications to existing designs or does the form that's sent in have to be exactly what you need.  For instance adding a double bubble to a standard screen...

Lucky, I had a bit of an idea for the guages project as I was putting things together.  What about putting some of them down where the idiot lights are not, to make some more room in the main cluster.  Things like the battery guage and most notification lights and stuff, the less critical indicators while riding?

Test ride went well, defenatly have to add more bracing, while it's not shaking around so much to be dangerous, it does make it look like I've got a headlight strobe  ::).  I have no idea where these braces need to be put, so it's going to take a fair bit of experimenting again.  I really wish the forks were a little wider so I could come up right up the middle between them for the bracing.

And the daylight pictures

It looks so very odd without the whole thing on.  I shaded the area that the rest of the front fairing may cover, it's pretty hard trying to come up with a layout that shows off the V of the engine but dosen't look too spindly.  Also notice the Ogre Snot (tm) replacement YICS there snuggled between the cylinders.

Lucky

i like it as a sport fairing, & the fender. all along the bottom looks tough to do.

on the guages, I was thinking about how it would look completely eliminating the guage cluster & putting everything right on the fairing dash...