Persistant single cylinder problem

Started by tig5, December 16, 2013, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

there is the option of annealing the easy out so it can be drilled, but probably a risky operation in alloy. please correct me if I'm wrong. I called myself dingleberry for a good reason.
You like, oui?

Ken Williams

You could investigate metal disintegration machining.  I had this done back in the day to remove a broken RD-250 cylinder exhaust port stud containing a broken EZ-Out.  The service was reasonably priced, at least multiple decades previously. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining
http://www.sparkeroding.co.uk/

Re-Vision

Interesting, I didn't know there was such a method.     BDC

tig5

Both bolts were too frozen to remove by notching, even with the screwdriver helped along by my biggest hammer. I drilled the head off one, and used a combo of drill and dremel to take the head off the one with the Ezy-Out imbedded in it. Fortunately the Ezy-Out had snapped off quite low in the hole. By the time I got the heads of the bolts off the stems could be unscrewed with my fingertips....

As I mentioned earlier, the weep hole was filled with a sandy sludgy material. I used a drill bit to clean it out . I removed the mechanical seal (4) and will replace it. If I poke the drill bit all the way up the weep hole I can see it appear on the back side of the pump bearing. It looks like there is a piece of partially detached O-ring floating around in there. I'm at work now and didn't get a picture. To get any closer to the bearing I understand it needs to be pressed out and pressed back in by someone with the right gear? Im unable to tell whether or not the weep hole was filling with coolant or not but I'd rather replace parts while I have the cover off. The muck that I pulled out of the hole was stodgy enough that it could have been. There was a bit of gasket sealant floating around but it definitely looks like a bust O-ring.

fret not

It sounds like your cooling system could use a good flushing and coolant replacement, after the new parts are in place, of course.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

tig5

The broken O-ring was actually a munted bearing seal. I got the guys at Boyle Kawasaki to order me a new mech seal and figured I may as well replace the bearing while I was at it. The mechanical seal cost me 55NZD and the bearing was 10 if anyone is curious about prices.

lexx790

The small factory I work in has 2 EDMs , 2 problems we're in the UK and what ever needs to be eaten out needs to be put on the bed of the machine and sunk in or flushed with fluid.

dingleberry

How much to send the wife to the UK I wonder :P
You like, oui?

lexx790

Quote from: dingleberry on January 10, 2014, 08:22:55 PM
How much to send the wife to the UK I wonder :P

Sorry forgot to mention the object must be electrically conductive.  ??? ::) :P