News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I'm back

Started by Blake, December 24, 2013, 08:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

A big "Hi" to those old farts still around that remember me.  Finally brought the Vision out of the corner of the garage and going to give it one last valiant effort to get it running again.  I don't even remember the last time it's ran.  Need to go through my pile of parts and survey what's there and what disappeared.

Just a few things off the top of my head from looking at the bike last night:
- finish the new wiring harness (about 90% complete as is)
- new voltage regulator (is there a new/better replacement now?)
- build intakes for the roundslide mikunis
- weld new underside metal on gas tank / new gas cap
- need to find suitable radiator replacement as i chucked the old one.
- take out the race cams, throw in the oem's

The goal right now is to get it together and riding before april 1st.   Except for the time spent waiting for parts to roll in, it should only take a couple weeks once i really get into it.  Here's hoping!

-Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Blake,
You were just leaving as I arrived.  Welcome back.  I recall you were one of the more adventurous modification wise.

What's the story with those race cams?  I can probably give them a good home if you are selling. Unless of course if they didn't work in which case I'm not so interested. 

Blake

I never actually ran the cams since I put the bike on hold right as I installed them.  They're pretty extreme and require you to clearance the heads a little (not hard, just use a die grinder).  Past that, I don't see why they wouldn't work.  I have another pair of cams I might swap in (they're either a pair of intake or exhaust, but not a complete set-i forget).

But at this point I just want it to run and not mess with it anymore.  I'm putting on a set of 36mm round slides since I don't feel like messing with the stock carbs anymore.

Worst case, of this engine gives me troubles, I'll be in the market for a motor to throw in and call it a day
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

The Prophet of Doom

With my re-build I'm doing just about every mod I can think of.
If you want to sell the cams, send me a PM.  I'm not scared of a bit of die grinding.

Blake

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on December 24, 2013, 10:40:47 PM
With my re-build I'm doing just about every mod I can think of.
If you want to sell the cams, send me a PM.  I'm not scared of a bit of die grinding.

Sounds good.  I'll let you know.  I have a box of parts i took off when i was starting to modify towards a cafe racer style.  Might be some useful stuff for some people in there.  Probably will be a few weeks before i get to it.  Need to get my game plan in order.

Rick G

HI Blake !  Are you still using the exhaust from the  Vision racer I sold you in 2003?    Good luck with  getting her back on the road . I sold almost all of my parts to Sunburnedaz, he should have a good radiator.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Quote from: Rick G on January 02, 2014, 07:04:47 PM
HI Blake !  Are you still using the exhaust from the  Vision racer I sold you in 2003?    Good luck with  getting her back on the road . I sold almost all of my parts to Sunburnedaz, he should have a good radiator.

Hey Rick!    Yup, I still have that exhaust :)  It's rusty to hell at this point, so i think i might have to build another copy of it, but so far so good.  It'll be nice to get this thing running again after putting it off for my other projects.

YellowJacket!

Hi Blake!  Good to see you 'round these parts again.  Welcome back.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

YJ, how has the new career treating you? Good to see you again BTW.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

YellowJacket!

Pretty good actually.  I usually end up working 7 to 9 day stretches with about 5 to 7 off in between.  Still hadn't had a chance to take YJ out for a ride though.   :'(

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vadasz1

Is there a way of getting specs or drawings of the racer exhaust?

I need to replace my MAC exhausts and was thinking of fabricating MAC copies at work.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.