News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

A most unfortunate turn of events

Started by Fuzzlewump, September 30, 2013, 10:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzlewump

It's very likely that you guys have heard of this already, but I saw no mention of it so I thought I'd bring it up. My buddy down the street told me about it this morning and it's been on my mind all day long.

At an annual bike rally/ride in New York City yesterday, there was a confrontation between a group of riders and a man in an SUV. You can read official news reports on the incident but to make a long story short, the guy in the SUV drove his vehicle into the crowd of bikers (actually, OVER a couple of bikers) more than once, and attempted to get away. The very large crowd of bikers chased him down, brought him to a complete stop and proceeded to hospitalize him after pulling him from his vehicle. As of this morning news reports were unclear about what initially started the confrontation. The video footage suggests it all began when the SUV hit a biker that was brake checking him. New York has banned the annual ride from taking place again.

There's a link to a GoPro video of the incident right here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNOyDMzn2bY

This just sucks, man. It's been bugging me all day.

In many violent crimes there is more than one guilty party and this incident is certainly no exception. Obviously the driver of the SUV was reacting to a situation where he felt very threatened, but I believe the motorcyclists were doing the same when they surrounded him and forced him to slow his speed. It's just one of those moments where a lot of nervous, excited people got angry and no one stopped to think. The result is a shame and really bad mark on motorcyclists everywhere.

After seeing the footage on Youtube it has me thinking more seriously about some close calls I've had on my bike in the past month, and how they relate to a natural power struggle of sorts between bikes and cages.

A little while back, I was run out of my lane and nearly off the road twice in a 24-hour period.

The first time it happened I had been riding next to a large pickup truck for several minutes when he suddenly came over into my lane, pushing me into another lane that was merging with ours (vehicles behind me prevented me from slowing down as he pulled into my lane). As I entered the merge lane I could see that the curb ahead of me was closing in fast and I had no recourse but to accelerate quickly and get back into my original lane ahead of the guy who had just pushed me out of it. I'm thankful I had my friend's bike at the time, because the way my V is running it certainly wouldn't have gotten me out of this situation.

A few hours after this I was again pushed out of my lane and into the merge lane by someone who had been riding next to me for a while and should have seen me clearly, or so I dreamed.

After just a little thought, I realized that two close calls in a 24-hr period, on roads that I drive daily, are not a freak coincidence- they are the result of operational error on my part. I consider myself to be a very alert and careful motorcyclist, defensive and cautious. (Don't we all?) But just because I am not driving like a madman doesn't mean that my actions are for the greater safety of all. Even when I execute maneuvers safely and cautiously, I may very well be driving in such a way that I antagonize others into driving like madmen! I believe some element of this is unavoidable, is simply a law of riding. I want to expound on this...

It goes without saying that we on motorcycles are much more vulnerable than those in "cages". A simple patch of light sand on the pavement can drop us quickly, where someone in a four-wheel vehicle would never even realize they had just driven over it. A sideways fender bender in a car could cause some rough handling for a few seconds but could easily throw a motorcyclist under the wheels of another vehicle.

As a result of this increased vulnerability, I believe that we motorcyclists often take advantage of certain techniques and maneuvers that afford us an increased level of safety, while agitating the motorists around us unintentionally...

-You're sitting at a light with a large number of cars behind and next to you....the light changes, and you accelerate very quickly up to legal speed so you can get ahead of the pack, give yourself a cushion of space. This is safe and legal, right? Maybe, but now you've egged some %&*$-hole into thinking you want to race!  >:(

-You're moving along smoothly with traffic stacked up behind you and in front of you. Suddenly the vehicles in front of you come to a very abrupt stop, and you know those behind you may very well slam into your backside. You see an open space in the lane next to you but getting there means flicking the bike over sharply....so sharply that the person you pull in front of is spooked. Now they're hugging your rear wheel as punishment for the next three miles.

Sometimes actions that increase the level of safety for us are actions that appear erratic or aggressive to those driving four-wheel vehicles. They don't recognize this because the physical rules they naturally follow do not apply to us all the time. They are unaware (or forget) that we are quicker, more agile, and smaller in tight spaces than they are. In an effort to compensate for our more vulnerable position, we do something with the intention of saving our own asses, and they see it as aggressive, dangerous riding. This in turn makes them feel vulnerable or threatened, and they react in ways that are life-threatening to us, often without realizing how serious their actions really are.

Without an emotional check, this cycle can perpetuate itself and escalate into something ridiculous like the incident in New York yesterday. I believe the bikers felt threatened by something the SUV had done, and they handled the situation by forcing him into a standstill....he's not a threat if he's not moving. I believe this made him feel very vulnerable (who wouldn't in a situation like this?) and he over-reacted by trying to barge through the crowd.

I'm not trying to preach any kind of message here, or say anything profound. As a new rider, I'm simply running out the thoughts that have been going through my mind all day and trying to make sense of something tragic. If you've already read this far then I thank you, and I encourage responses and opinions on this whole "power struggle" between four-wheels and two on the road.

I think that if I can be more attentive to the way my riding makes others feel, and not just to the level of safety it provides for me, then maybe I contribute to an increased level of safety in the bigger picture. I think certainly this can contribute to a better image of bikers in the minds of "cagers" on the whole. After hearing about this crap in New York today, I am going to promise myself to try at least.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

Re-Vision

I too saw that video and though I didn't see any bikers hurt, I saw him run over someone's downed bike. I have never felt the need to ride with a pack of motorcyclists but it is clear that cage riders have the upper hand as far as safety goes. Pack mentality can cause aggressive behavior from bikers and I believe that is what started this stupid episode. I suspect breaking someones side window with your helmet would get you shot in a lot of localities and I would side with the motorist if he had shot someone. When I drive I always give strong consideration to bike riders and when I rode I rode as though no one could see me. Common sense and courtesy should prevail if you want to become an old rider.    BDC

fret not

Automobile drivers are much less concerned with the immediate road conditions than motorcycle riders, and they are often distracted with radios, CD player, texting, eating, putting on makeup, or any number of possible other distractions.  As an automobile driver I have experienced lack of clear vision of the area around my vehicle.  Stay out of the 'blind spot' near the rear quarter of a vehicle because you likely won't show up on the mirrors and the driver probably won't turn his head far enough to see you whether you are on a bike or in a car.  Unless your bike makes a significant exhaust note you are basically invisible.  I try to never travel alongside any vehicle unless I have no choice.  If you are along side the front quarter of a vehicle you are probably visible to the driver but don't take it for granted, move away to a less crowded part of the road.  I generally accelerate a bit in such a situation.  Keep your wits about you and pay attention because you can't relax on a bike like you can on a car.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

I have been of the opinion for most of my motorcycling life that all drivers should have to ride a motorcycle for a year as a first step to getting a car/truck licence. This would give all road users a certain respect for motorcyclists that would save many lives and injuries.
You like, oui?

Jimustanguitar

It sure looks like the driver was provoked by the biker that he rear-ended, but holy crap. If somebody can just drive over a pile of bikes and speed away not knowing if you've killed someone... While your wife and young child are in the car!!!

Regardless of the "who started it" argument, that's call for multiple attempted manslaughter charges, hit and run, child endangerment, etc. At least a few felonies. He will be lucky to keep his kid, will lose his license, and hopefully (now my emotions are tied up in it) his wife leaves him too.

Are public stonings in town square a thing anymore?     Maybe it's good that the due process of the law takes over in cases like this :)

Re-Vision

If a gang were beating on my car with my wife and baby in it- I would drive over everyone of them if necessary. Odd how we see things.     BDC

fret not

Sometimes it is difficult to see things the way someone else does because we are engaged in our own personal perspective.

You should walk a mile in your enemy's shoes, and then you are a mile ahead and you have his shoes. ;)

vintage bikeworks

Quote from: fret nut on October 01, 2013, 11:51:04 PM
Sometimes it is difficult to see things the way someone else does because we are engaged in our own personal perspective.

*You should walk a mile in your enemy's shoes, and then you are a mile ahead and you have his shoes. ;)

* Funny!   :laugh:
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1978 Honda CB400TII Hawk
2018 Yamaha FJR1300

Jimustanguitar

Now the story unfolds a bit more... I guess the SUV was being damaged at the very beginning of the video, and some of his tires had been slashed from the get go....

With those details... screw those guys. I think I would have driven over an angry mob that was attacking me if I had my wife and child in the car too.

Interesting how perspectives can change when you know the whole story.

Re-Vision

I know that we don't all have the same traffic conditions to deal with but my philosophy is that if you are not close to another vehicle then they can't surprise you with some stupid maneuver. Had a dumb woman try and stay in my blind spot last week while driving on the interstate, had to do ninety to dissuade her.      BDC

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: Re-Vision on October 03, 2013, 11:48:12 AMhad to do ninety to dissuade her.

Why would you slow down for a lady in a car?    :P

Re-Vision

Thanks, I needed a chuckle. LOL     BDC

Rick G

I've had two experiences with being tail  ended by a car. One involved a drunk , who would not even open his window  to talk to me . I had a merchant call  the police , then the guy tried to leave , so i smashed his window and drug him out of the car . I "detained" him until police arrived to haul him off. The officer wanted to know how the window got broken , I said I had no idea , so he thanked me  and left.

The second time  I was punted into an intersection and narrowly missed being T boned. The driver who hit me  apologized  and showed me his licence  and insurance . I rode the bike back to the shop with a caved in rear rim and installed a new rim during my lunch hour. Turns out  the licence and insurance were phony.. I should have drug that one out of the window too!
I was in my early 20;s when all this happened  today i would just pull out my 9 mm and order them on the ground , until   Leo arrived.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

Man, you should have been on that ride in New York.    BDC

fret not

Packs and mobs are unpredictable, as they can unduly influence individuals within the group,  and can appear threatening to 'outsiders'.  You know, getting caught up in the moment. 

dingleberry

Quote from: Re-Vision on October 01, 2013, 06:46:36 PM
If a gang were beating on my car with my wife and baby in it- I would drive over everyone of them if necessary. Odd how we see things.     BDC

I totally agree with you here, it's not until you have kids you understand. I was a total wussy until I had kids to protect, now I turn into a silverback gorilla if my family are endangered in any way. Mind you, I consider my bikes as part of the family too so I'm "sitting on the fence" on this one. 
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Wasn't an undercover NY cop found to be one of the bikers and charged?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan