2014 Harley-Davidson Street 750 & 500

Started by stuntdriver, December 28, 2013, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuntdriver

I seen this announced the other day and the first thing that came to mind was my Vision has been reborn! I owned a VROD for almost two years and really liked it and the technology but I felt it was just too big of a bike to have fun on. Now I am really looking forward to more info on the HD Street 750 as it may just be my next bike. Was considering a Yamaha FZ-09 but liking the looks and sound of this one a bit more.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/620/17348/Motorcycle-Article/2014-Harley-Davidson-Street-750---500.aspx

What do you guys think?

fret not

Go ride one first, and see how YOU like it.  It shouldn't matter what we or anyone else thinks, unless WE are going to ride it too.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I'm glad to see HD add some affordable entry level bikes to their lineup. The rank and file purists won't like it but then again that's not the demographic HD is after. Also glad to see it uses belt drive like the rest of their models. I'm guessing it's (hopefully) fuel injected? It looks sharp and I look forward to seeing some reviews when they're released.

I have more of a problem with the marketing than with the bike itself. I'm a little puzzled why they would fit small diameter rims and shorty shocks with limited travel and claim it's  "tuned for the roughest roads to suit riding in urban environments". A KLR 650 might be a better choice and comes in under 400 lbs. - not under 500 lbs. If you want to build it with a low seat height fine but don't make claims of soaking up potholes like nobodies business. I can't believe they boast of 7 spoke cast rims with a single disk brake. The Japanese began that in the 70's. Multi-valve heads and liquid cooling? Commonplace by the early 1980's. Congratulations for waiting so long and ensuring these things weren't passing fads.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

stuntdriver

Quote from: fret nut on December 29, 2013, 12:46:01 AM
Go ride one first, and see how YOU like it.  It shouldn't matter what we or anyone else thinks, unless WE are going to ride it too.

I was just looking to see what your thoughts are on this bike and the direction HD is going. I will most certainly ride before I buy :)

Thanks!  ;D

stuntdriver

Rikugun,
Exactly the kinda response I was looking for. Thank you for your insight. Yes they are fuel injected and yes, I too can't wait for the reviews and hands on reports.

Rick G

They remind me very much of the HD V 4  (circa 1978) It never made production, but I saw one in  Vancouver BC at the Trev Deely display.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

stuntdriver

Quote from: Rick G on January 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM
They remind me very much of the HD V 4  (circa 1978) It never made production, but I saw one in  Vancouver BC at the Trev Deely display.

Never heard of it but just looked it up at the HD museum. They do look quite similar.