Re: Welcome newbies....

Started by legacybrg, January 15, 2014, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legacybrg

Hi everyone, I'm a new owner from the UK. Despite all the bad publicity about the 'bike I've always liked them so when a rare chance came to buy one I couldn't resist. It's due to arrive on the 17th so I'll post my initial reaction and a few photos after that. It seems I'm getting a complete 'bike and almost a second one in spares so hopefully a good runner can be made out of everything. It has the common carb problem, the last owner says he converted the carbs to US spec but still has all the UK set up - can anyone help with the difference? Anyway, more to come later and thanks for taking me as a member!  Graham     

lexx790

Wow another UK Visionary, whats your location ? Oh Big Hi BTW

The Prophet of Doom

The UK and US 83 have different carbs (BD34 vs BD36)

If he swapped carbs, then he would have had to swap petcocks for the return fuel line and I think that means swapping tanks as well. One of our US cousins would chime in on that one.  If he just put US83 jets in the BD34 (which is what the owner of my 400 did) you will have issues till you put it right.

In my sig is a link to manuals - check yours is an 11U and use the appropriate manual

legacybrg

Thanks for the help, I'm in Hertfordshire  (N of London). 'Bike due early tomorrow so watch this space for loads more questions!!

Jimustanguitar

I don't have any experience with the US/EU difference, but if it is a Eurpoean carb with American jets, if I know the stateside EPA (environmental protection agency) the way I think I do you'd definitely want to jet it back to the original spec for better performance, cooler valves, and higher efficiency. They tend to lean things out and cause things like the stumble in exchange for emissions compliance.

xz550uk

Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of crucial info here... I certainly have. Its amazing to find so many helpful people in one place.... unprecedented .  Nice to see another XZ'r in the UK . Im in Salisbury. When your bike is up to speed we need to arrange a UK meet with as many UK owners as possible. There are a few of us now so would be good. Good luck with your project.

drtaco

hey guys another newbie here from us (Virginia) figured this was a good thread to jump into and introduce myself. just started reading and savin threads with part info, might as well save whole sight :) any way I got a black and gold 83 with full fairing appears to be in excellent shape doesn't run yet  :'( i'll try not to ask about parts yet until I look around so maybe i'll post again in about 3 months :) can't help it, any source for the rubber intake to carb piece??

fret not

That looks like about $70 for both front and rear with gaskets.   The other option is to make some.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Wow, more than 10 available and just about everyone needs them. Looks like get them while you can.
Whale oil beef hooked!