News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Obtaining a title when you have no Bill of Sale in Tennessee

Started by RedBaron, January 15, 2014, 06:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

I had no BOS for my Tennessee purchased XZ bought on Ebay. Anyone been there?

Without one you cannot get a Title in Tennessee unless the bike is thirty years old.  Yes, any owner of a bike older than 29 years can get a title using a "Statement of Ownership" which can be printed from the Tennessee state government website. Print it, use a pencil to outline the VIN from the frame or engine on the form margin, I think I used the engine, put the bike's model year down, sign it attesting to you owning the bike or frame and then visit the local county motor vehicle clerk who will first tell you a BOS is needed no matter what, but you ignore that statement and you smile and politely ask her to read the text on this official form that says differently. She will read it and then start working at the computer mumbling something like "I'll see if it takes it" while requesting title in your name using that form information and it will be found to not be stolen at that point in time, hopefully, and your registration is immediately printed, she hands you a license plate and the title will come in the mail about a week later.

Art
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Jimustanguitar

That's odd. I've always obtained a receipt or proof of purchase of some kind from a seller, so I've never been in that situation, but the 30 year exception is a new one.

The trouble I've had in the past was related to VIN numbers being wrong in the DMV computer system. I bought an '08 Buell last year, and the VIN on the title matches the laser etched and stickered number on the frame letter for letter verbatim. When I had an officer come out for the out of state title inspection there was no issue there either. But when I took it to the DMV (the title inspection form, not the bike) the DMV lady was swearing up and down that the officer made a typo and that the number didn't exist and was an error. When I showed her a photo of the etched numbers and VIN sticker she did the same sort of "let me see if the computer will take it" kind of routine and made it work.

Glad you got your bike plated!

YellowJacket!

Hey there Red Baron!  Long time no see.   I think Lucky had to title one of his bikes in the past.  PM me and I can get in touch with  him and see what he had to do.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dingleberry

I'll write you a bill of sale. I guess there's more to it than that eh? I should find out about your system over there as I would like to import a vehicle one day (when I win the lotto)
You like, oui?