Ultra-sonic cleaners

Started by Re-Vision, February 03, 2014, 10:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Anyone able to recommend a better deal for a carb cleaner than the Harbor Freight 2.5 L model(http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html) for $82.99?      BDC

Jimustanguitar

I was able to do my carbs with the smaller one from Brookstone, but it was a pain. The cleaner all the way full went just past the half way line on the carb. I'd run a few cycles, turn them 90 degrees, run them a few, turn them, etc.

http://www.brookstone.com/ultrasonic-jewelry-cleaner-dvd-cleaners?bkiid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|606376p

What I'd really like to do is buy a high wattage transducer and power supply and just build my own that attaches to a large metal dog bowl. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I'd like to make the unit magnetic so that I could stick to a metal bucket or whatever else I wanted.

I do know that after projects like that, I would have spent more than $100 to have had an easier way of doing it. I'd just do it. You'll end up using it on everything.

fiat-doctor

Harbor Freight almost always has a 20% off coupon for any one item going on.  It even works on sale stuff.
                Steve

Jimustanguitar

Maybe it'll be considered a Valentine's day special since it's a jewelry cleaner by day.

fret not

Jim, how about using an old 12" or 15" speaker?  Then you need a signal source to determine the frequency, and a volume control for the intensity.  Probably as easy to re-purpose an old amplifier.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Jimustanguitar

Believe me, I've thought about it. The snag is that larger drivers have larger diameter voice coils and get less and less efficient at higher frequencies. Inductors are the component that they use in audio crossovers to block high frequencies (capacitors attenuate bass, and inductors block treble) and in a speaker, they tend to start heating up and melt the glue that the coils are potted with, or the former will detach from the cone. This heat is why tweeters are cooled with ferro-fluid and have big heat sinks on them.

Audio amplifiers aren't very efficient for ultrasound either actually (if they even pass it) because there's no need to engineer them to exceed the human hearing range.

It would work for a sonic cleaner, but pumping several watts of ultrasound is a very specialized thing unfortunately :)

johnclemens

I have that exact cleaner and have had good results with it.
The heater works well. Gets parts too hot to touch.
I used simple green or real parts cleaner solution when needed.

Kiwi

I have the harborfreight one and really like it.  Just make sure you snag a 20% off coupon.
You can often find them in popular mechanics. 
I have actually managed to pull them up on my phone, and they just scan it from there.
Just do a google image surch for harbor freight coupon
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Re-Vision

One of my recent mags had a 25% off coupon, cost me $62 something. Plus a free 25 foot tape measure.     BDC