Someone just shoot me

Started by dingleberry, March 07, 2014, 02:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingleberry

Yes I deserve to be shot, I bought a honda (no capital letter here) the other day. I think it takes my bike count to twenty (not including the kid's bikes). It's a VT500 although I believe it was mainly released in the European market so many of you may not be familiar with one. 52 degree V twin with offset crank pin gives it good primary balance, no counterbalance shaft needed, keihin cv carbs, 50 hp. And the best part for many reading this (not me) it's a shaft drive! The big end is knocking badly so a tear down is in order, but the ergos/seat height of this bike make it perfect for my wife. Paid $266NZ for it so figure I have nothing to lose except some more shed space.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Ventilated disks and comstar wheels?
I've seen these turned into real nice cafe racers.

You should post some pictures

Rikugun

I was pursuing one of those I found on Craigslist last summer. I'm now a fan of shaft drive bikes so that was a huge plus. Other niceties are 3 valve heads with easy to adjust screw tappets, CV carbs, and 6 speed. Not huge on HP or range but nimble and a fun. I like the flat tracker styling too.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

There are quite a few parts in common with other variations of this VT500 Ascot (flat track street bike style) motor.  Honda also made 'cruisers' and the TransAlp models all based on this motor, though they do have 500, 600, 700, and 750 versions.  Just a suggestion but it may be easier to find a good motor than repairing this one.  Honda valves are spendy.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

True enough, while the Transalp is a fairly uncommon site around here, the 500 Shadow sold like hot cakes during the cruiser craze.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

Fret nut you are probably right, but I should really fix as I'm fairly inexperienced in rebuilding engines, so better to practise on some thing old before I cock up an important engine. Maybe it will be too far gone and I do have a spare xz400 engine laying around :-\

Here is a photo of it...

You like, oui?

Rikugun

Correction to my earlier comment, didn't know it was the Euro-Sport model - they had a larger tank and a bit more power(?) than the north American Ascot. Very nice

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!