News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Bike Night

Started by The Prophet of Doom, March 20, 2014, 05:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Every Thursday you can bring your bike into the bar.  Only in New Zealand :-)

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/bike-night-video-5869952

drtaco

so ya'll need any multi-crafted millwright, pipefitter, welder with 27 years of papermill exprenice (cannt spell worth a damn) down there will work for beer and I believe you call it petrol. most excellent bar. a new tourist ad saying:
are you religious? come see what heaven is like- New Zealand most definitely paradise

Rikugun

The notion of a bike-centric Thursday is familiar with me. Quite a few years go one of my brothers started a tradition of a Thursday night get together. In bad weather we'd gather inside his garage. In nice weather, inside the garage with the door open. Often there was some sort of bike project going on  or someone would bring a car or truck over with some repair needed.

We were young and there was lots of drinking, smoking and carrying on. I'm sure the neighbors found it annoying at times. The core group was myself and three of my brothers along with a cousin and a few close friends.  There was additionally a cast of regulars that would stop in. Most owned bikes and the rest, some other toy of motorsport.

As the years progressed many moved on. The venue has changed locations twice but the core group remains with the occasional visitor. The last smoker finally quit and the drinking has moderated considerably, although we have been known to huddle around the wood stove warming our insides with Irish coffees in the winter months.

The tone of the gatherings has changed but I don't necessarily miss the old days. It's still bike-centric although the bikes on the lift are newer now  - with the exception of mine of course.  It's more about camaraderie than being rowdy. It's still about celebrating the eve of the last day of the work week.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

drtaco

We were young and there was lots of drinking, smoking and carrying on. I'm sure the neighbors found it annoying at times. The core group was myself and three of my brothers along with a cousin and a few close friends.  There was additionally a cast of regulars that would stop in. Most owned bikes and the rest, some other toy of motorsport.

As the years progressed many moved on. The venue has changed locations twice but the core group remains with the occasional visitor. The last smoker finally quit and the drinking has moderated considerably, although we have been known to huddle around the wood stove warming our insides with Irish coffees in the winter months.
did some off road jeeping and would do some "wrench" parties sounds a lot the same. but just the "ride in" to the bar in the city notion I guess stired old memories. I read some where growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional  ;)

drtaco

P.S.
HEY POD did the sucking up with the New Zealand thing get me any brownie points or do ussally see threw that bullcrap :P