News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Thinking out LOUD!!!!!!

Started by vadasz1, April 01, 2014, 12:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

I saw this on e-bay while searching for an aftermarket exhaust for my Sentra.  Then I got to thinking that this may be viable on the Vision.  I was thinking of making my own exhaust at work and incorporating this adjustable silencer.  What do you all think about this idea.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-Stainless-Steel-5-Tip-Exhaust-Muffler-w-Adjustable-Sound-Silencer-SS-/351036817682?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2011|Make%3ANissan|Model%3ASentra&hash=item51bb6cc112&vxp=mtr
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

fret not

So what would you come up with to fit that "muffler" to?  Making an exhaust system for the XZ is not an easy task.  The frame is in the way for the rear cylinder unless you use the original Y pipe.  I'm thinking the real fix is to design a new frame and then making an exhaust system would be much simpler and more efficient.  A 2 into 1 should work well.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

The pipes I had on my bike were cut off just behind the collector, and then new mufflers welded on.  They were very stock like, but no reason why they have to be, except perhaps welding steel to stainless is a tad tricky.

For a full bore design check out Treedragons's post http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14321.msg129998#msg129998

fret not

It's all well and good to use the stock system if it hasn't rusted out.  Cut it and weld whatever you like, but when they become rusted out things get more involved.  I have not been successful at welding rust.

vadasz1

I have a MAC exhaust with one baffle crapping out.  I am going to make my own exhaust but was wondering if this would work.

I am thinking of initially keeping the MAC pipes and just attaching the new cans.  Later I hope to replace the MAC pipes with SS copies.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

fret not

Do you mean the baffle is falling apart, or just needs re-packing with something?

vadasz1

The disc that holds the baffle in place holder at the rear has rotted out.  I resorted to using the bottom of a small tin can as the baffle .  Looks crude but works for the time being.