News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

800 MPH

Started by Rikugun, April 28, 2014, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Awesome POV footage of Felix Baumgartner's 128,000 foot "space jump". This is from January so my apologies to those who have seen it. Initially the fabric of his suit is so still it almost looks faked. Also surprising (or alarming) is the initial rate of descent - again as a result of little atmospheric resistance. Tens of thousands of feet go by very, very quickly. It appears a violent spin takes over through the first part of the flight. I guess this is again due to lack of atmospheric resistance? It seems to stabilize as he passes into the thicker soup closer to the surface.

edit: wearing headphones really adds to the experience  :)

http://www.flixxy.com/first-person-view-of-felix-baumgartners-space-jump.htm#.Uu5KxEhDi7Q.gmail
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

" border="0

Rikugun

Yup. I'd seen the brief clip on the evening news as he departs the capsule but not the full "in flight" footage. Would have been difficult to capture this prior to GoPro cameras.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan