News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

uncontrolled rpm increase

Started by drtaco, May 08, 2014, 10:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drtaco

well I got my exhaust welded up (1.75 pipe) and put slip on universals on both sides very loud!! so I still don't have title but I couldn't hold back anymore- I took it on the highway and opened her up. DAMN it rode nice, loud though did about a mile total. drove back to house and tried to add a washer in pipe to slow the straight thru force and make some go in baffle area of pipe(I know i'm confusing but hang in there) took it for another mile ride (1999 license plate) accelerator was slow to go back down during trip got home and bike wanted to idle at 2000 could reach down at cable connection and hold back down to 1300 when I let off it went higher at one time it tried to go 9grand plus I turned it off. could a more open exhaust cause uncontrollable acceleration? nothing in cable is hanging it. what ever it is it is opening the throttle on its own.
btw it was stupid to do 90 on old tires but it ran great from a dead stop and I just did not want to stop until I did all 5 gears I do believe my quarter mile was around 14 easily and yes the front will come off the ground with no problem but it rode so nice!! first time I had it on the pavement. growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional  8)

QBS

Great to hear that you are enjoying yourself.  Double check the carb linkage and cable routing for unintended interference.  Double check the carb synch.  If all seems well but the problem remains, check for unauthorized enrichner circuit actuation.

tmyth79

My first attempt at a 4-2-1 exhaust would not allow me to accelerate beyond 6k rpm. I would agree with QBS that it is a carb or vaccum issue. How long has the bike been sitting and what have you all done since aquiring it?
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, for our families and friends depend on it. Safety always comes first!

fret not

Check your throttle return spring and make sure it's working.  One of the rules at the salt flats is you should use two throttle return springs just in case the first one breaks, so it shuts down if "something" happens. 

I'm not suggesting you should have two return springs, just make sure the one you have is working.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

drtaco

well I sort of found the problem, just a lot of stuff going on haven't investigated how to resolve but just need to look. so with that sorry about the posting the problem with out stepping back settling down and analysing. mothers day had my son over wanted to show off my new exhaust and get his input on things. with the handle bars turned hard left I went to start it (yeah he laughed how long it took compared to fuel injection. kids are so spoiled) got it started played with throttle stop to idle correct and everything was good. went to turn handle to mount and BAM idle starts to soar, turn back to left goes down, turn hard right goes to redline. I guess it would make a good circle track bike  ;D. so again something simple and I guess when I first was looking at it I never noticed that I had cocked the bars or was moving it. got family things to do so guess this weekend i'll take fairing back off and look what I tied down when I did the brakes. now if you read this far :o is there suppose to be more springs than the ones(1 for each carb) wrapped around the "butterflies" on the right side. pictures soon thanks guys

QBS

fret not

This sounds like improper routing of the throttle cable.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

BigHarp

Quote from: fret nut on May 13, 2014, 12:58:51 AM
This sounds like improper routing of the throttle cable.

^^^^^^I would have to agree with fret nut.
1982 Yamaha XZ650 Vision: Daily Rider
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C:  4 into 1 Mac exhaust, 1" drop handlebars
1972 Honda CL350: Unplanned Project
1997 Kawasaki ZX-9R: Micron exhaust, Holeshot2 Power Shifter

drtaco

what seems to have caused my problem was when I ran my new brake lines I decided to wire tie the acc.cable with the brake lines to the right tube. when I ran the bike up and down the road I believe the cable "worked up and down" in the ties until it worked down and did not want to come back up. when turning right the excess cable bowed wrong pulling outside casing and inside cable causing to accelerate more you turned to the right. i removed all the ties holding acc. cable , rode the bike- problem resolved :D