News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Changing year.is it possible?

Started by Guerrero, May 14, 2014, 09:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guerrero

So.the idea is,that by document my Vision is 1986.
Can it be true?because it is German low power version.or there could be some mistake?
If so,i would like to change the year to original,i guess 82?

Why i would like to change the year?- because in my country 30 years of car/motorcycle you can make papers,so the vehicle become retro,so you don't need to pay year taxes.( Or how it is called in English,dont know exactly) and some little features.

and when i asked my country vehicle departement how can i change year,they told me,that i need a proof from Yamaha somehow,that this bike is 82.

is it somehow possible,or i just can wait 2 more years,and it will become retro anyway? =)

Jimustanguitar

So let me get this straight.... You want to "find" paperwork that says your motorcycle is at least two years older than it actually is so that you can dodge taxes?      :)

Just poking fun at how I read that the first time, no offense intended. I get what you're actually asking for.

If you think there's a chance that there is a discrepancy on the year of your bike, the VIN number (or EU/DE equivalent) or the engine code is all that I would know to look at. I do know that the Vision was produced in different variations and possibly different years internationally, but I don't know much about it or where best to look that up. I'm sure that somebody here knows better than I do.    Latvia, right?

Good luck!

Re-Vision

Here in Texas we can change the year by swapping out the frame to a different year. Probably cheaper to wait two years.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

My bike has the actual month and year of manufacture on the badge on the steering column

Re-Vision

I suspect they all do.     BDC

Rikugun

Quote from: Guerrero on May 14, 2014, 09:18:57 AM
So.the idea is,that by document my Vision is 1986.
Can it be true?because it is German low power version.or there could be some mistake?
If so,i would like to change the year to original,i guess 82?
Is there a data plate anywhere on the bike that shows the date of manufacture? The WIKI page claims the 11V was made until 1985, not 1986 but I suppose the entry may be in error. What makes you think the "original" year is 1982?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

82 was the first year model for the Vision even though some of them were built in 1981.      BDC

fret not

Generally any bike made in October or later is for the next year delivery, and should be the next year model.  I'm sure there are exceptions, there always seem to be.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on May 14, 2014, 05:10:47 PM
Is there a data plate anywhere on the bike that shows the date of manufacture? The WIKI page claims the 11V was made until 1985, not 1986 but I suppose the entry may be in error. What makes you think the "original" year is 1982?
My bike has the actual month and year of manufacture on the badge on the steering column

I had a xz400 here, but unfortunately I didn't think to look at the the badge for a year - they are often reported as being built later.  Dingleberry has one - perhaps he can report on what his says.

Guerrero

at the moment the bike is not with me.so i cant take a look there.but as i remember there was no plate with date...hm.or was it?
the VIN is low power-11u-051602 and we already had talk about this, it looks like 11U,but because of numbers it should be reduced version.
well it is reduces version for sure,because i have changed camshafts and now waiting for carbs.

probably easier will be to pay those taxes for 2 years,than try to change year,and everithing

Rikugun

Just to clarify (or further confuse) I realize a late month build date is the following year model. I asked about build date since '86 would be after production stopped for all but the 400 - at least according to the Wiki entry.

Quote from: Guerrero on May 15, 2014, 07:26:57 AM
the VIN is low power-11u-051602
My bad, I thought you had the German 11V low power model.

Quote from: Guerrero on May 15, 2014, 07:26:57 AM
probably easier will be to pay those taxes for 2 years,than try to change year,and everithing
Yes, I would agree.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Guerrero

but i do have German low power model.or reduced .(are they the same thing?or is there german low power,AND reduced power?
anyway i have the deutch schwach model :)

Ok.then.will wait 2 years,and then make it retro =)) i hope that law wont change...because some 4-5 years ago retro vehicles were 25+ years.now they are starting from 30 years =))

The Prophet of Doom

The 11V low power model has a 11U serial number 11U-50106-11U053600.   Low power / reduced power is the same thing.  37Kw(50HP) instead of 47Kw (64HP).  It's a separate model with it's own official code, and separate microfiche booklet.

I've never understood why Yamaha produce so many sub-models with minor differences - they still do it today.  It must be a logistics nightmare compared to a single model with a bunch of option packs for different markets.   I would assume the serial number thing is because they retrofitted 11U models rather than built them from scratch, though that would be a wild guess at best.

In New Zealand the rule is 40 years after first registration -  So an imported classic doesn't qualify for low tax for another 40 years.  Politicians don't care about cars because they all drive round in taxpayer funded BMW limos.

dingleberry

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on May 15, 2014, 06:08:38 AM
I had a xz400 here, but unfortunately I didn't think to look at the the badge for a year - they are often reported as being built later.  Dingleberry has one - perhaps he can report on what his says.
My three frames have no badge on them, only frame number stamped on headstock. No way of telling year unless a Yamaha list is consulted I guess.
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on May 16, 2014, 04:31:36 AM
The 11V low power model has a 11U serial number 11U-50106-11U053600.   Low power / reduced power is the same thing.  37Kw(50HP) instead of 47Kw (64HP).  It's a separate model with it's own official code, and separate microfiche booklet.

Thanks for clearing that up for me POD.