News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Another one bites the dust

Started by Fuzzlewump, May 24, 2014, 03:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburnedaz

This brought me out of my lurking to say EEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rikugun

I know, pretty tragic isn't it. I was thinking of taking up a collection to fund a small roadside placard to commemorate the passing of a brave Vision. Nothing fancy but tasteful nonetheless.

Maybe a lamp to burn an eternal flame if there's enough money......  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Fuzzlewump

Hey I got super busy these past few weeks and haven't had time to stop back by the forum...

The whole incident was really a hell of an experience! (trying to think of more puns but my brain is foggy this morning, lol)

Again, I wanna thank all of you for help over the past couple years. The knowledge I've picked up from this forum is something you simply can't put a price tag on. I'm excited to start work on another bike.

That bike was my sole transportation so I'm really itching to get back on two wheels! I'm definitely gonna get another bike asap. I want something I can work on because I really enjoy wrenching on them, but I also want something with good parts availability and something not too problematic. Right now I'm thinking about a late 70's CB750; does anyone know much about these bikes? Are they a handful to work with? Parts easy to get? I have to assume that anything that old will have some issues to deal with, but it seems to be a pretty popular bike so I am hoping that means parts are readily available, problems aren't too great, etc. If any of you are familiar with that bike I'd love to hear what your opinion of it is.

Anyhow, I'll still be stopping by the forum now and again to pick some brains.
Know ye not that ye are a gremlin?? Thou hast no quarter here- flee now from me!!

QBS

I just wrote a wonderful Epistle extolling the virtues of the Suzuki sv650 over the cb750, and our website lost it.  Bottom line:  the SV650 is better than the late 70s' cb750 in every way including price.  Nice or even decent cb750's are not particularly cheap.  Do yourself a big favor and seriously investigate the Suzuki.

fret not

I have owned 2 different Honda 750s in the 70s and a Suzuki SV650 recently, and am in total agreement with QBS.  My personal choice for the Suzuki V would be the V-Strom 650 due to the sporty riding position on the SV650.  Mine was the Naked version with real handlebars, not the S model with clip ons and rear sets.

Not to knock Hondas but if you want a 4 cylinder bike look at the Suzukis over the years and also Kawasaki KZ650 or 1000.  Sturdy bikes.  Suzuki has a reputation for smooth transmissions.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Hey Fuzzle, all kidding aside it does suck about the bike - especially being sole transportation.

Regarding replacement bikes (especially for sole transportation) I'd think newer than the V is a better idea. Some of those older models have begun to reach collector status and fetch a premium. Parts availability can be an issue with any older model. Having said that, I'm a big fan of the DOHC 750 Hondas...

The SV's got very popular for good reason. Having said that, there are early 2nd gen year(s) to avoid due to unique part (i.e. no interchangeability) and purportedly wretched fuel injection mapping. Whatever you decide, my advice is research as much as possible.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

VisionMeister

Holy Crap it looks like a movie stunt (Terminator, Hell Rider?)
I'd take it as a message from God and go with a different vintage bike.