News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

my starter, it no work

Started by lowandslow_A4, June 07, 2014, 07:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowandslow_A4

So i think i might have fallen victim to a starter filled with oil, havent ripped into it yet but im expecting this to be the case. Solenoid just clicks when i press the start button and my battery is brand new. my question is does the following kit come with the update oil seal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-repair-rebuild-kit-Yamaha-1982-1983-XZ550-Vision-38-/251545204853?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a91433875&vxp=mtr
TIA!

Re-Vision

That rubber seal at the top looks like what someone sold me as an updated oil seal.     BDC

The Prophet of Doom

That looks like the kit I bought.  Mine came with a single spring (upgrade) seal.  I believe you can get double spring seals, but I've never seen one.

Even if it is the springless OEM style it should still work for many years before needing replacing. 

lowandslow_A4

Cool, started after sitting for two hours. But I'm gonna replace that seal anyway

Rikugun

My starter had intermittent "it no work" syndrome since the end of last season. I finally took it apart this spring wondering if it was full of oil. I had put a new seal it in it a few years back and I'm happy to report it was not the problem. The brushes on the other hand were worn significantly - one to a nub.

Another problem was the rubber rings sealing the starter segments from the elements were not in good shape allowing water spray from the front tire to enter. This was made worse by fall/winter rides with brine solution on the roads. The inside of the starter was a mess and the brush plate was corroded.

Only after replacing the nose seal in 2011 did I order a rebuild kit - primarily for the rubber rings. I threw it on the shelf thinking one day I'd get to replacing those rings. I probably should have followed up on that sooner.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jimustanguitar

Some kits do come with the lip seal, yep. Not everybody needs an extra one.

One caution about that kit... The leads on the brushes were very short, and on mine I had to remove one of the washers on the connection bolt to make it reach the way I thought it needed to.

Rikugun

I had the same issue. I was planning on using the brush plate from the kit I'd purchased but the positive brush lead was too short. It was an E-bay purchase "EMS" - Electric Motor Service RBK-38.

I ended up using parts from my original and a purportedly "rebuilt" unit I'd bought as an extra. That one had missing thrust washers and other issues but a decent usable brush plate. I should clean up all the parts I have left and make another good starter but not sure how to remedy the short brush lead?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

lowandslow_A4

Quote from: Rikugun on June 08, 2014, 07:14:21 AM
Another problem was the rubber rings sealing the starter segments from the elements were not in good shape allowing water spray from the front tire to enter. This was made worse by fall/winter rides with brine solution on the roads. The inside of the starter was a mess and the brush plate was corroded.

i think this is my problem, that day it didnt start for me, it had been raining earlier. after that, i havent had any problems starting it.

drtaco

must be mojo,sunday mine just started the slow drag cold start, then not start when warm, guess i'll try that kit also on the first post

drtaco

i guess I didn't change the oil in my starter enough, filter should have caught the big stuff :o

drtaco

ok waiting on kit. did this while dropping out dr motor

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

drtaco

yeah it was nasty, was sorta wondering about this starter seal thing- no more wondering. I was amazed it ever turned. hope it may fire up better once I put it back together. when kit comes in i'll post if it was a good one getting it from e-bay - rare electric , I believe

jchaplin

So I am new to the Vision world. My 4th bike in the garage. Found it for such a good deal just couldn't say no. All the original owner knew was he went to start it a decade ago and hit the start button and it didn't do anything. And it stayed in his garage ever since. He thought starter or selenoid but never got to it. The starter was filled with oil. I rebuilt it and changed out everything. New selenoid, regulator, plugs, oil, coolant, battery. Tank was kinda rusted and the exhaust looked shit so I have new both on the way. Hope it starts when I get it all together. I didn't know why the starter filled with oil. But it didn't seem how it should be. My first Yamaha. Other bikes are Italian.

QBS

The factory, non spring lip design, oil seal in my '83 lasted 2 years and 10k miles.  I wouldn't expect its' exact replacement to do any better.  However, its' upgraded single spring lip replacement has lasted 29 years and 78k miles.  Brushes last approx. 35k miles. when the spring lip oil seal is installed.

Rikugun

Welcome aboard jchaplin. Many here have started withr a "good deal they couldn't pass up".  Soon they realize like most things, a good deal is relative.  :)

Where are you from and where did you source a new tank? How about the exhaust - what brand? Good luck with the project. Maybe start a new thread when your parts come in and let us know how it all comes together.

drtaco

hey guys thanks for the help again!!! searching the forums comes up with a lot of experience. so anyway, from the beginning I ordered a rebuild kit that I thought was the number to use 11h-81800-60-00 Mitsuba off of e-bay from a seller named 'rareelectrical' (sounds like they ought to know ). when I get it, it comes from a 'mountain power systems inc ' in NC, USA, who must distributes J&N products cuz that is who's name(J&N) is on the blister pack. the part number on pack is - Mitsuba repair kit 414-54048. blister pack was on the very bottom of box--then 3 layers of bubble wrap on top.(I guess no damage ever occurs from bottom! it wasn't hurt)
now all that was just to let you know how I got it,(not good nor bad) next:
discuss parts: I am sorry I did not get # off the bearing, but it was a double sealed bearing ok in my book, some will have a different opinion on that. original bearing KOYO 6003Z single shield (shield facing out), seal was spring supported looked to have a 'compound lip' not a true double in my book. I some what packed the cavity between seal and bearing, mainly for seal lube due to the sealed bearing.BTW it did not come with a new bearing retainer for groove in between seal and bearing.
all parts fit ok EXCEPT : the outside nose O-ring (I hope I explain right) it was to thin and total length to long. (was able to use old one, which was still in good shape).
AND (as I read in a previous post) the wire connecting the brush and bolt was WAY to short old original length 1 1/16, new kit length 9/16. so I soldered old bolt wire to new brush wire. this can be tough watch out for making it too long and too stiff (ok children I know what your thinking ;)).
end result it STARTS and it does it SO MUCH BETTER.
I will post on parts board just that when ordering this kit nose ring was off and bolt to brush length was off, hey I just could of said that here and you wouldn't had to read all that bull$hit  :D

jchaplin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-YAMAHA-XZ-550-VISION-1982-83-/360391162733?hash=item53e8fcbb6d  I bought this kit. Everything fit. Everything worked. Never rebuilt one before. Put it in, turns over strong.

vl5150

I just did mine today using that yellow ebay kit.  Worked like a charm and has the spring seal.

drtaco

Quote from: vl5150 on July 12, 2014, 10:42:21 PM
I just did mine today using that yellow ebay kit.  Worked like a charm and has the spring seal.

Quote from: jchaplin on July 11, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-YAMAHA-XZ-550-VISION-1982-83-/360391162733?hash=item53e8fcbb6d  I bought this kit. Everything fit. Everything worked. Never rebuilt one before. Put it in, turns over strong.

I am glad ya'lls kits worked. it would be good maybe if jchaplin could post like actual manufacture and item# info over on parts board and vl550 my pack was yelowish orange  :)( i take it you ordered the one in this thread, which i should have ordered instead of trying to shop around)
i'am not bashing  but my experience has happened to others also (wire length brush to bolt), so i was just pass'in on what maybe not to buy  :)