News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

3D Print

Started by cvincer, June 26, 2014, 03:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Those cam cover gaskets seem to be as rare as hens teeth & very expensive  (if you can find them).

Has any tech savvy  ROV  person got a 3D printer  & tried printing the gasket in a soft plastic ??

Jimustanguitar

I've got a printer and would be happy to try it. I'm no CAD guru though. Anybody here able to draw one up for me?

ABS is the go-to plastic for printing with. There are a ton of materials though, PLA plastic, Nylon, PET, etc. There is also a really cool new material called ninjaflex that is rubbery and flexible. It's a little soft for the shape of those cam plugs though.

If nothing else, the 3D printed model could be used to make a mold. Are there resins that would make an ideal material for a gasket like this?

lexx790

I use Solidworks CAD software daily at work and could draw one up, what format of 3d model can you use for your printing?

Jimustanguitar

3D printers are a little behind in this... Stl files are the "standard" for 3D printing. It's not the native output of many CAD programs (stl is a triangle mesh like video game designers create models of) and was originally created for stereo lithography.