News:

Main Menu

Blake's Vision from the dead

Started by Blake, July 03, 2014, 09:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Hey Guys!

I figure since i've actually started working on this bike again, i should make a thread.   I'll try to update this shortly with all that's been done with it (and with lots of pictures) but for now.. a simple picture of the bike as it sits in the garage:

Around 2010 i kind of pushed the Vision to the side to build this:

That's my "race car" toy.   1976 cadillac fleetwood brougham.  completely stripped, around 1500hp with turbos, fuel injection, and e85 fuel.  But now that that's nearly complete, it's time to get back on the vision.

Ok, so right now on the Vision:

I completely gutted the wiring harness, built a new one (did this in 2010- got 90% finished, then stopped)
Bought the new series Reg/Rec (july 2014)
"Race exhaust" from a bike Rick G had years ago
Stock 1982 carbs have had airbox removed and are jetted pretty damn close for k&n pod filters + the exhaust
Self designed upper aluminum triple tree
clipon handlebars
Harley Davidson headlight
I have 36mm roundslide carbs waiting to go on, once the bike is a known runner.
Engine heads have been mildly ported with copper headgaskets / new lower cylinder gaskets
Tail section from 2002-2003 Yamaha R1 to be eventually added in cafe racer / street fighter style.  (It actually fits the tank width quite well)
Gas tank underside has been completely cut out.  New sheetmetal will be added to increase capacity / fix rust problems
Radiator from late model Trx450 ATV is currently en route to be used as new radiator
Electrosport universal gauge (tach, signals, speedo, etc) has been added to replace the stock gauge unit
Front fork brace (no clue who i got it from or what model it is.  I just remember it's on there)
Some custom race camshafts on there (never ran the bike with them, just going to take them off at this point and run stock)
Universal rearset footpegs and levers are sitting around somewhere in a box to be put on in replacement of the 83 pegs.

Yup...That's all i can remember for now.

But yeah.... keeping these kinds of threads updated tends to keep me motivated.  I've been eyeing an xb12r buell lately, but i told myself i absolutely won't buy another bike until i finish this one :)  Plus, I have't ridden in nearly 3 years so i've gotten the bug again and definitely want to get this thing riding again before summer is out.

EDIT:  for all of you "new" guys... i bought this bike when I was 15 in 1999 for $100...and have had grand dreams for it since (as you can probably read on this forum).  so you can say it's been around for a while :)  I think i found and joined this forum a few weeks after I bought it.  Now that i'm a bit older, i just want to ride it and enjoy it.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rikugun

Sounds like a very interesting project so I hope you keep at it. I can really "see" the R1 tail despite the stocker's presence in the mock-up photo. I'm especially intrigued by the slide throttle conversion.

Have any pics of the completed Caddy?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Blake

new replacement radiator came in the other day :)   Looks fairly promising.  Shouldn't be hard at all to adapt or mount (mounting actually seems like it'll be simple with a couple brackets).  Slightly bigger than stock, but i have no doubt it'll help keep the cooling system in check.

Also, I ordered the 170 degree thermostat linked a few threads down (i found it on amazon- it's for a kia or something?)   I havent checked the fitment yet, but again, another tool to help keep temps in check.    I'll also order the biggest electric fan i can fit on this radiator (looks like a 9" will fit) and install a new fan switch to make sure water temps never go above 210 or so.

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rikugun

What temp thermostat came out of it?

What is the OEM thermostat temp?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

sunburnedaz

OEM is 180ish I think.

What did that rad come out of or what was it built for?
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck