News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rear tire sizes for Vision

Started by dioalp, August 18, 2014, 10:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dioalp

I believe the factory rear tire size is 110/90 - 18 but I want to put the largest size possible.   I've measured and a 120/90 looks like a certain fit but mounting a 130/90 or 130/80 looks iffy.  Does anyone have experience doing this?  If so what brand tire did you mount.

Thanks... Dio

QBS

I recommend and run stock size and Bridgestone Battlax.  Have run 120 size.  Handling (read: flickability) is slowed down.  130 rubs.  btdt.

Rikugun

Slowing down "flickability" on this bike may be a good thing  :D

Some tire sites I've looked at recommend not exceeding one size (10mm) larger. This is apparently due to maintaining the proper installed tread profile and in addition probably won't rub on most applications.

I've run stock size but the current set of Michelins are one size larger front and rear. You can run just the rear larger but I prefer doing the same to both.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

gph

Go with the stock size and Avon Roadriders. Fantastic combination. Modern rubber makes a world of difference and negates any (supposed) advantage of a larger tire. Just my experience.

dpequip

I've been running 120s since the bike was new in various brands.  The Bridgestone Battalax tires are definitely the best handling tires I've had on the bike.  130s will not fit the stock swingarm.  It can be made to work but not worth in my opinion.  Remember tires grow slightly at speed and what has clearance when static may rub at high speeds.  Just a point to keep in mind.
1982 Yamaha Vision Owned Since New.
Mods:Euro Primary Gear set, Euro footpegs & controls, Yamaha 1/4 Fairing, Braided Stainless lines, Forkbrace, Tapered roller bearings in steering, '83 rear Shock