CAD drawings for float chamber gasket?

Started by pinholenz, September 17, 2014, 06:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinholenz

Custom gaskets should be easy to make these days with laser cutters and CNC controlled knife cutters. Anyone had any experience with this technology or even have AuTOCAD files for the float chamber gaskets?

I have been messing around today with scanning a gasket and turning it into an AUTOCAD file. If anyone wants to have a look to see if I am on the right track, I'd be grateful.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

Rikugun

I don't much about that technology and what the unit price would be but it sounds like an interesting idea.  The closest to your project I've seen is the attached photo someone posted originally as a PDF labeled XZ400 gasket.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pinholenz

Nice work,

Thanks for posting the .jpg. With a couple of small modifications to account for differences between the XZ400 and XZ55 carb gasket, this would be perfect for a template.

Rebuilding my carbs, when I mated the top to the base without a gasket, I noticed that the two faces did not meet. There is some lumpy casting gunge in the recess where the accelerator spray head sits. I scraped away the casting in the recess with an old narrow chisel until it fitted snugly. Both carbs were the same so I suspect all Mikunis of this model will have the same potential problem.

With the correct 1mm thick float bowl chamber gasket, there may be no interference. But any thinner material could cause either the spray head to become skewed or compromise the integrity of the gasket joint.

Just an observation

Cheers
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550