News:

Main Menu

New rider/problems

Started by 82NightRyder, October 10, 2014, 07:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

If it is that weak on power you may be running on 1 cylinder. Take a spray bottle of water and spritz the exhaust pipes after the bike has been running awhile and see what happens. If the cylinder is firing you should get instant sizzle and steam.

Also be sure and burp your cooling system or it will more than likely overheat on you.

Tiger

All being equal, with your carbs clinically cleaned and synced, your Vision will start and run. Where are you located?? You may have a Visionary close by that can help/mentor you through your early Vision days... 8)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

82NightRyder

I'm in Spokane Valley, Wa, USA. Maybe ill try that exhaust spray idea. I tried riding it tonight, it woke up the neighbors, so no more testing at night. :-[ If all else fails, then it will soon be carb cleaning time. :P

82NightRyder

I rode my V around the countryside recently, still performs like a moped but the ride was still fun. :laugh: When I got back I sprayed the exhaust tips like Jefferson said. They both steamed, but only one hissed. ??? I don't think I'll be able to get these problems fixed before I mothball my V for the winter, but at-least I have a unique vehicle for the weekends in the mean time. ;)

jefferson

I didn't specify exactly, but the tips aren't where you want to spray the water. You need to spray the water right where the pipes come out of the cylinders to ascertain which ones are firing. The tips aren't specific to a cylinder.

82NightRyder

Oh, ok I'll try that today. It's raining right now so I probably wont ride it today but ill run. :)

jefferson

You really don't need to ride it. Just start it up and let it get some heat in the pipes and then spray. If one cylinder isn't firing it will be obvious when you spray it.

drtaco

good luck 82 as a some what new 83 vision owner starting earlier this year, I found that these bikes can be a challenge even for mechanically inclined persons (I screw down just as much as up), patience and logical progression in trouble shooting will help. this may not be a great first bike due to the age (tank corrosion, old gas in carb, fouled/gummed petcock/screen, starter, finding new exhaust, coolant corrosion/hoses), what regular maintenance wasn't/needs  to be done ( brake bolts, rear wheel oil, battery, motor oil, tires, cable lube). not to be a prophet of doom.. oops is that New Zealand trade marked :) but I believe that's where that came from, posting doom and gloom. but as that great prophet preaches it doesn't have to be that way if you don't want it to be. but it will require effort and research to achieve peace of mind and satisfaction (zen out baby).
if you just want to jump on something and ride, maybe drop off at the shop if something just isn't right and have someone keep it up for you this ain't the bike. it takes some, like myself, months to get running close to right(its not there yet) to have someone else do what I have done would be probably double of roughly the easy thousand I have spent on parts for this FREE bike. so no disrespect intended.
but with all that said mine rips and handles great runs most time between 6grand and rev limiter. it is a pain when showing off taking a young buck on an 850 Suzuki with my vision and while racing rpms too high in 3gear (i had him from the dead stop by 2 bike lentghs)rev limiter took out front cyl , then had to hear "whats wrong, old man old bike can't handle it". I know it leaks fuel at overflow when parked, can't tell if it happens while riding what you don't see can't hurt ya right?

QBS

"Leaks fuel when parked"?  Doesn't have to.  Install $5 inline fuel cut off valve and use it religiously.

82NightRyder

I'm getting pretty low on cash, so I hope to continue riding my V without spending any more money on it besides gas until I mothball it. :P I'm gonna ride it around a nearby lake today to soak in some autumn scenery, I forgot to spray the pipes last time so maybe I'll get that done today.

drtaco

Quote from: QBS on October 17, 2014, 01:34:03 PM
"Leaks fuel when parked"?  Doesn't have to.  Install $5 inline fuel cut off valve and use it religiously.
not to redirect thread off new guys stuff, but leaks fuel only for a few seconds maybe minute at over flow line next to exhaust driver side happens when I put kickstand or center stand down after riding. at one time I had it comin down the side of the carbs I guess it ain't runnin lean :). wow new idea maybe a supercharger to help use that extra fuel  :o

82NightRyder

Okay, I rode around the lake and on my way home, it died on the road. :'( :-[ Luckily a stranger with a pick-up got us home, but I will say that my riding season is over. :P The high beam indicator light kept turning on & off despite the beam switch being on low. Well I'm gonna mothball it and dig into those carbs. I don't have the time, patience, or money to keep a bike like this so I'm probably gonna get it running as good as it's gonna get without breaking my bank and then I'll sell or trade it in. :-\