News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Real world Kawa EX500 Vs. Vision comparison

Started by QBS, December 03, 2014, 07:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

All of the following comparative remarks are made in the context of a well sorted/excellent condition XV550 and an equivalent EX 500.

I just purchased my non rider son in law a 2006 EX500 (Houston TX, 3892 miles, $1900 US, good condition/never dropped) and rode it home today.  First thing I noticed was that loosing 100 lbs (400 lb. EX...500 lb. Vision) makes a huge difference in ease of handling and flick-ability.  It greatly increases the fun factor.  Second thing I noticed was that there is no substitute for the V torque characteristics.  I fell in love with the V engine all over again.  To smoothly pull from 3k rpm in third gear is hard to give up. The ease of V drive-ability  is wonderful.  Availability of EX torque must be be attended to at all times.  I you're at 3k rpm or less you best be in no higher than second gear.  With a V, just about any gear will do as long as you've 3+k showing on the tach.  Much easier to manage in traffic.

In a drag race the V will win no problem...but...not until the V gets well into second.  Off the line and for the first 40 yards the Vs' 100 lb. weight disadvantage sees it struggling to stay with the EX.  When the V hits third at 9.5k rpm the EX has lost the race.  The EX can definitely  be sport toured, no problem.  By sport toured I mean anything that a V will do so will an EX, but definitely not as comfortably as my '83 V.  The '83 V fairing is vastly superior to the EX item.  Ergonomically, the upper riding position is very similar to my '83 V.  The lower riding position is a bit cramped for me.  In the sport touring context an '83 V is hard for... any... bike to beat. 

The EX has less weight.  The V has shaft drive which is well worth its' weight penalty   The EX gets between 50 to 60 mpg.  My '83 V gets 42 to 45 mpg.  Braking on the EX is very good, better than the V.  Loosing a 100 lbs. will do that for you.  I suspect that the V will be more stable at supra legal velocities and in associated turns.  Gaining 100 lbs. will do that for you.  For urban/suburban commuting I would prefer the EX.  For sport touring and related long hauls the V is way more comfortable and much less maintenance intensive.

Having said all this, I think the EX is a wonderful first bike for a mature responsible person, but it's way too much first bike for an immortal teenager.

Rikugun

Nice report Q, thanks for posting. It sounds like your son in law will have a very nice first bike.

I rode a friend's final year ('09?) Ninja when it was fairly new. It wasn't a terribly long test ride but I do recall it was nimble and fun. I'd agree with your comment "Second thing I noticed was that there is no substitute for the V torque characteristics....  To smoothly pull from 3k rpm in third gear is hard to give up. The ease of V drive-ability  is wonderful." The EX would get that "chuggy" feeling if you attempted to lug the engine in a higher gear. I think Suzuki's 650 V twin (SV & V-Strom) does the same thing.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan