Grommet Source?

Started by Re-Vision, December 21, 2014, 06:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I'm fixing to order rubber grommets for side covers, it burns my butt to pay $2 to 4 for a 5 cent piece of rubber. Anyone able to recommend a source better than Partzilla?      BDC

The Prophet of Doom

I got mine from MikesXS, but they were about that price also  :o

QBS

I've seen them in the specialty hardware section at my local Lowes.

Re-Vision

My local Lowe's grommets weren't even close to what we need on sidecovers.     bdc

fret not

If you Google  "rubber grommet supply, images" you will get a significant array to choose from.  From those images you can contact the suppliers for more information or search their catalogues.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Re-Vision

Thanks Mike, mind boggling info on grommets. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted from any of the larger suppliers so I'm going to start a new thread on feasibility of 3-D printed grommets.     BDC

fret not

Most of the grommets we need are a dedicated part and not just a universal item.  The 3D idea is interesting.  Also might find some grommets on older bikes at a dismantler's yard.

supervision

We have a place called tractor supply, they have all std O rings, good price
" border="0

fret not

Good to know about Tractor supply, but we need the grommets that fit in the frame tabs to plug the side covers into, which are not O rings.

Looking at the 3D printing suooly area there are tough 'elasto' plastics, harder flexible plastics, and hard plastics.  The problem I see so far is these plastics available for 3D printing are termed "not waterproof".  Maybe they are porous, or maybe the melt when wet.

The Prophet of Doom

So here's an idea...

Use hot melt glue to make a 2 part mould of a good grommet - a coating of WD40 will act as a release agent.
Use the clear silicone stuff you use around baths (Selleys all-clear here but probably something else in USA) for the grommet.  Don't worry about the hole as you can drill that out later. 

Should stay flexible forever and it's UV stabilised. 

dingleberry

Vulcanise a flat rubber washer either side of a smaller one and drill if needed to suit?
You like, oui?

Re-Vision

Real problem is making sure side cover wont blow off or doesn't get broken while being removed. Original grommet setup didn't blow off but did create a shortage of left sidecovers due to difficulty of removal. Engineering problem that needs remedying.    BDC

QBS

As suggested earlier, junk yard should be able to provide all the grommets you need.  Apply grease to grommet and its male counterpart for ease of install and removal for years to come.  If the broken off male part is available, use J-B Weld to provide a sturdy reattachment.

PwrManDan

would stacking rubber washers of different sizes work?

cvincer

These work for the grommet that sits in the bottom edge of the fuel tank (nowhere else) .... don't forget the lube.

fret not

McMaster - Carr  has what I think should be a reasonable substitute for the larger frame mounted grommets.  Their item # 9600K69 is a bag of 50 grommets for $9.41usd.
I'm still looking for the small frame mounted ones.

The Prophet of Doom

dingleberry

Looks like a cool product. Showed wife and asked if she needed  anything made and she told me to buy a big bag of it.  ???
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

If you got enough you could make a whole new wife

fret not

Each small packet costs $25usd,  so  (tasteless comment deleted). :police: ;)