News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Front Wheel Problem

Started by Re-Vision, December 25, 2014, 03:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I'm wanting to keep 82 black wheels with 83 upgrade dual brakes. What is the best way to do this? Tap new holes to accept 83 rotor or re-anodize gold to black. Could also powder coat both front and rear wheels to black.      BDC

supervision

mine are 82 black wheels with 83 disks, and forks.  the holes are threaded.  I also like the 83 bars, but 82 pegs
" border="0

fret not

Yes, '82 wheels already threaded.  You will need an '83 lower RH fork leg, caliper, and brake line though.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

You need LH and RH fork legs as the rotor size is different, and so caliper positioning different.   Stainless brake lines of course
Also RH caliper, brake line splitter (or a 2 line kit), and 83 Master cylinder.

There's a lot of chatter on the interwebs about the curing  temp of powder damaging your wheel's strength.  I couldn't say - but perhaps a low cure temp powder would be advised to be on the safe side.

Re-Vision

I've got all the necessary 83 ingredients and read about the cure temp possible problems. Should I get a machine shop to tap holes for the rotor?     BDC

cobol74

On the right side of the front wheel, there's a plastic cover that pops off.
you'll find the right-side rotor mounting holes under this cover.

There is no drilling or taping required to mount the right side rotor.

Re-Vision

What a keen observer I am, and I thought Fret nut didn't understand my concern. The gold trim didn't go with the look that I want but the black and silver looks real good to me. Thanks Cobol and Fret, know I should do more research but it sure is easier to ask questions.   BDC

fret not

POD probably has a younger and sharper mind than I, yes, I forgot the difference in rotor size.  :-[
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!