Visioné Café Racer update

Started by turbosteve84, January 24, 2015, 08:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

Can silver solder be applied to aluminium ?    Silver solder melts at 450C & aluminium at 660C  ........ silver solder is a different animal to the solder used in electrical connections.

(Don't confuse with silver braze or silver braze alloy which melts at  +1000C depending on % of silver content ........but anyway the $ value of the braze alloy silver content would be worth many times the $ value of the tank).

Or you could try this:-         http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum-repair/

turbosteve84

My welder guy is reluctant to touch it. I do have some aluminum rod that melts at about 650 degrees F. I think I'll try that. --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

There are aluminium brazing products - HTS2000, Durafix, Ideal720  They are pretty good, and the joy of them is you can do joining with nothing but a propane torch.  They are very strong for lap joints, great for filling holes.

They are not great for butt joints on sheet.  They are weak and when you heat it up to do your second seam the previous seam melts :-(

There's a reason why none of the brazing rod demos show people building tanks with them.

The Prophet of Doom

Oh and once you've put brazing rod on, you can forget about welding it.

turbosteve84

OK, got the engine in the frame to see how the tank fits. A sharp eye can see the rear mount is not touching the frame. Tank needs to be gelded more to clear the airbox.

My tank guy (background in photo) will do the modification AND build me another tank. This one has too many issues. Still, I'm going to hang on to it. Bought Caswell liner for both tanks. Since I'm getting another tank we're going make a few mods so it looks more like the one I photoshopped.

I'm frustrated with the slow progress but very excited about the look. TANK - ENGINE - TAIL! Those are the keys. My tank guy even wants to buy a Vision so HE can make a Visioné café racer for himself! Anyone in the Northeast US got one for sale?

Here's the real reason for this post: The stock tank (see image) is gelded just below the front mounts. Why? What are those cavities there for? I thought maybe for the radiator, but no, I mounted the rad and it clears the fabricated tank easily. Anyone know? The reason I ask is because the fabricated tank does not have those cavities and I don't think they're needed.  --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

pinholenz

I had always guessed that the shaping on the underbelly of the tank was to ensure adequate airflow over the air filter housing. If the tank sat down too tight on the housing, it could be possible that negative air pressure built up around the air intake to the carbs. Its only a guess though.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

NITROPOLIS

Just read your thread from start to finish. Great job! As with the interference between the tank and air box, I think, "IMHO", before your fabricator makes that second tank. Why don't you mock up the bike a bit more. Forks and bars along with the first built tank. Just to make sure there are no interference issues. For instance, between the tank and the bars, or anything else. I would hate to see a second tank made and realize, "Houston, we have a problem."

turbosteve84

OK, I swore I wouldn't post anything here about my Visioné Café Racer project until it was COMPLETELY finished. But it's raining here right now so I decided to have some fun.

Here's the bike, completely assembled. Still waiting for my electrics guy to come over and hook everything up. And the tank needs to be internally sealed (Red Coat) and surface finished. Once it's a running, fully operational bike, I'll make a video and post it on YouTube.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

cobol74

Nice exhaust system, could you give some details about it ?

turbosteve84

It's from an Italian company called Marving. Got it through Mad4Exhausts. Just the mufflers -- the pipes are stock. The chrome finish on the mufflers is very nice. The workmanship -- well, it is Italian. Mad4Exhausts had the best combination of price and shipping cost. I think the total came to about $450 with shipping to the US. I bought it when the exchange rate was close to one US dollar per Euro.

They slipped on rather easily and fit well. No issues, except the cross pipe is very close to the rear tire.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Steve, looks really good! I too like the exhaust. I haven't heard of that brand so looked it up. Apparently they're on sale now 351 euro...

http://www.mad4exhausts.com/en/yamaha-moto-epoca/66966-marving-y-2078-bc-yamaha-xz-550-cardano.html
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Thanks, Riku.

Yeah, that price sounds about right (no pun intended). Just found my receipt and it was 392 Euros with shipping. Can't wait to hear this bitch sing. Where the hell is my electrics guy?

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Very very cool. I don't know why you don't want to post progress.  I love seeing details - the more the better.  Painting the radiator overflow black - genius but so obvious now it's done. Why didn't I think of that it would have saved weeks.

Shouldn't it be visione cinque centocinquanta?

turbosteve84

I wanted to wait until the bike was operational, and then make a detailed video on everything I did to create it. I'm still going to make that video so everyone can see the parts I fabricated, where I hid the electronics, and other details. Until then I'll answer any questions anyone might have.

Yes, cinque centocinquanta is the translation for five hundred and fifty. But we say "five-fifty," right? (no one says "nice five hundred and fifty") so I fudged it a little.

Anyway, I already tagged the bike with this laser imprint so I'm sticking with it! (Gotta get some some new phillips screws).

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

pinholenz

Whatever you call it, it look GREAT. I hope that it all runs well.

I know I am majoring on the minor, but will you be putting mirrors on?

Congratulations so far. Looking forward to that video
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

turbosteve84

Thanks, Pin.

Yes, eventually mirrors will sprout. Probably some bar ends. I had wanted to install clip-ons -- actually bought a pair -- but when I put everything together I liked the riding position with the '83 bar risers and felt the clip-ons might be too severe. I'm not getting any younger.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

After much blood, sweat and tears (and an instruction manual with a BIG error in it) Backroad Bob Miller got my Motogadget gauge to function. Check out the video.

http://saddlebums.tumblr.com

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Well that looks real nice. And it works too!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Saddle Bums Vomag Plauen Garage Visioné 550 Cinque Cinquanto Café Racer first start up...

https://youtu.be/wlqACrfFmYY

Man, those carbs need a lot of priming! Hope it starts tomorrow.

Have a significant oil leak coming from the stator cover (left side). New gasket, plenty of Suzuki Bond, but still a leak.

Any suggestions for when I go in there and change out the gasket?

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

fret not

The most common leak site is the grommets where the wires come between the case and the cover.  The grommets should be pushed back a bit and the wires cleaned, then doped with sealant like 3 bond (Yamabond, HondaBond, Suzuki Bond, etc.) and then slid back in place quickly before the sealant dries. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!