Clutch cable from the UK

Started by skucera, January 25, 2015, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

Well, I ordered a clutch cable from a vendor in the UK for my US 1982 Vision, and it doesn't quite fit.  When I ordered it, I failed to consider that the '82 has slightly longer risers than European Visions or American market '83's... so, it's too short.  The sheath is 38 mm too short, and the cable is 35 mm too short.  Oh well....  At least it was cheap.

On the other hand, this cable should fit if I buy '83 short risers for the handlebars. :)

Scott

fret not

Or you could convert it to "regular" handlebars.  It's been done previously by others.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Did you install the cable and found it wouldn't reach or just lined up the 2 loose cables next to each other on the bench? I've found the stock '82 cable to be too long and thought perhaps a shorter (US '83 model) cable would work. Actually, I may have done exactly that but I'll have to check my build records.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

skucera

I installed it first, then found I couldn't turn the handlebars from lock to lock because the clutch cable snubbed the steering while turning the bars to the right.  Then I took the new cable off and compared lengths with the original.  That's when the little light bulb went on over my head.  Duh.

As for converting to tubular handlebars... nah, it just isn't part of the esthetic I'm after.  It just puts it one step further from being a Vision in my mind.  That's fine for other people to do, and I say "More power to ya," but I've seen too many bastardized Visions rotting in backyards on craigslist, and very few as original as mine.  I'll keep this one original, or at worst original with '83 handlebar risers.

One advantage of having the original off the bike is that I could oil the cable from the bottom end.  I also unkinked one of the ferrules and solved my stickiness problem, so I put the freshly oiled and straightened cable back on and went for a test ride.

Scott

Rikugun

Glad you got it figured out and working. I checked my records and I was wrong - I didn't find the '83 cable to well after purchasing the '83 controls.

If you go with the '83 risers at least you'll already have the correct cable.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jirik

to skucera:
Could you measure UK cable, how long is it? I need also one for my 11U model and I'm going to order from this seller: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motorcyclerecycle1?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Length of original 11U clutch cable is 132 cm cable and 117 cm sheath.
Thanks J.

allstateguy

Scott,
If the euro-cable you bought is surplus to your needs, I could use it. My 82 is soon to have 83 risers, and my current clutch cable is marginally too long even with the stock height risers.
JohnP

skucera

Sorry for the slow reply.  The cable is 1.35 m precisely, from one end of of the cable to the outer end of the other end.  (It took a few days to find my metric tape measure.)  If you're interested in the cable, PM me.

Thanks,
Scott

allstateguy