News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Just picked up a Vision, new project

Started by carlharri123, February 01, 2015, 06:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlharri123

Hi

I have just picked up a Yamaha xz550, UK spec bike, have not worked out if its the 82 or 83 model as I don't have the V5/log book.

It has twin brake rotors on front wheel and grey/silver colour scheme with decals on the tank

It has been stored in a container for 10 years and not started in that time, the tank is pretty much rotted and a previous owner has applied an epoxy resin all around the bottom seam of the tank.

I have no petcock but have managed to pick up a second hand tank on EBay, this tank has no leaks and no apparent rot inside either, it came with a petcock but the petcock has only a single connection for fuel line no connection for the vacuum pipe to attach to.

The frame has minor surface rust in several places which I have started to treat.

The clutch is seized as are the front brake callipers, the friction pad broke of from the pad metal on both front brake pads.

Electrical system seems to mainly work, the neutral light doesn't come on unless you ground the neutral switch assembly wire so figure the switch assembly is toast.

The coolant expansion tank had a layer/skin of mould so I figured it was a good idea to drain and flush the coolant system which I have now done, I have also drained the oil and replaced the oil and filter.

I have tried to start the bike, the starter motor turns over and the  engine has compression and is not seized, the rear cylinder coil outputs an extremely weak spark with the spark cap removed and no perceivable spark with the plug attached.

The front cylinder coil does not output any spark at all, perhaps this has something to do with the yellow black wire to the TCI?

I have tried to start the bike with a fully charged good battery.

does any one have any suggestions to how to diagnose the lack of decent sparks from the 2 coil assemblies?

I have followed the service manual directions to check continuity to and from the coil assemblies, spark plug caps etc.

please help if you can

fret not

Most probably your plug leads and caps are toast, and need to be replaced.  Search this site in the "Swap Shop" section for "Tiger" and his wire products for the XZ550.  He makes up new sets of high quality materials for a reasonable price.

Look for the frame and the engine numbers, and report here for someone to help to identify your specific model.

Regarding the clutch, you may have to take it apart but first try tying a wire or cord around the clutch lever pulling it back to the grip, and let it sit overnight.  Then put the transmission in gear (motor not running) and rock the bike forward and back against the bound up clutch.  It SHOULD free up before long and get oil between the plates so it will be easier to make it function next time you try to use it, if you don't let it sit too long. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Regarding stuck clutch:  Don't worry about it until you get the bike running.  Then, when it runs, get someone to push the running bike with you on it.  At slow walking speed, with the engine idling, pull in the clutch lever and drop it into first gear.  Still holding the clutch lever in, get on and off the gas.  Jerk the bike back and forth, through the drive lines' slop, against the engine.  Do this until the clutch breaks loose.  Fear not, the bike can handle the abuse. 

carlharri123

Hi thanks for your helpful replies

would faulty caps and HT leads cause virtually no spark even if I have low impedance measured from coil end of lead to spark plug cap (plug end)?, front cylinder has no spark what so ever, measured volts output on rear cyclinder output of ht lead with cap removed measured about 2V was expecting blown up multimeter and approx 12 KV, hence barely perceivable spark only seen in complete darkness, I have cut the black/yellow wire going into the tci unit as suggested in the ingition troubleshooting FAQ posted on ROV, still no spark from front cylinder ingnition coil, I have on order new plugs, caps and ht cable and will make up complete new leads and try those first.

jefferson

Your starter may be drawing too much juice and therefore the igniton box doesn't have enough voltage to fire the ignition. See what your battery voltage is while cranking the starter. That will tell the tale.

Tiger

Still custom making plug cap/wire sets. They will help make a big difference in starting a Vision, along with new plugs, good battery and clean carbs... 8)

PM me if your interested...

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

carlharri123

Hi thanks for all your comments/advice on previous posts, just thought I would update my progress, previously I was getting at best a really weak spark, after fault finding the ignition system and replacing the HT leads and plug caps as per the FAQ and advice from members on this  forum I figured the TCI unit was not working, I ordered from Fleabay a second hand unit from the USA on which the advert stated it had been tested on a bike to confirm  it worked, it arrived this Tuesday, plugged it in and turned the bike over, I can confirm the second hand TCI unit is a good one, I now have a good strong spark, next thing was to insert both plugs and hook up a temporary fuel tank as the original tank has rotted, hooked it up via jump leads to a decent battery and proceeded to crank her over, after lots of attempts she finally fired up and ran briefly

this was followed by a loud bang which blew the rear cylinder spark plug out and stripped the threads, so status is now that I am waiting for an M12 spark plug repair kit to arrive, but am never the less pleased that I got the old girl running briefly.

Rikugun

WOW! That's one mighty strong back-fire! I'm guessing the threads on the plug hole weren't in the best condition to start with but sorry that happened.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

carlharri123

Sure was made me jump a bit, I have a question about the fuel tap for the vision, I picked up a good condition second hand fuel tank again from fleabay, but the fuel tap on it has on and off and no second connection for the vacuum tube and no prime postion, can I run the vision safely by blocking the vacuum tube or is this likely to cause damage?

Does any one have a working good condition fuel petcock with vacuum connection for sale?

Rikugun

I can't see where it would do any harm. Does it have a "Reserve" position? That's a nice thing to have.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

carlharri123

Hi Yes it does have a reserve position, its just I had read somewhere that with just gravity fed fuel feed under certain circumstance this can result in bent con rods?

cvincer

Replaced my Vision petcock with an  on/off/reserve  ebay petcock long ago.   No problems at all.  Don't know how far I can get on reserve, but have always made the next petrol station.  Remember to blank off the  vacuum take off on the front cylinder  +  install an in-line fuel filter.

QBS

Carl, the bent con rod most likely occurred when a failed/internally leaking petcock, in combination with a blocked carb float overflow relief system, allowed the tank to gravity feed fill one or both cylinders with fuel.