News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Started by Dean, February 04, 2015, 05:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

Hey...just thought I would introduce myself to the forum...I live in the Bancroft area (Ontario)...

I have been contemplating an xz for a while and last week I purchased one. It's a little rough around the edges but complete and came with the registration. My plan is to make road worthy for use in the spring.

The engine is what I was intrigued by...I'm looking forward to tinkering/tuning...very neat v-twin...

By the way, Great Forum, lots of information.
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

QBS

Welcome!  You need to make Tiger your new BFF.

Dean

Yea, reviewed some of Tiger's posts...lots of knowledge.
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

QBS

He might not live too far from you.

Rikugun

Agreed. I think Tiger got rid of most of his used parts inventory but is a wealth of Vision knowledge and experience for sure. I wouldn't necessarily show up on his doorstep unannounced but I'm sure if sent a PM he'd be happy to answer some questions.  :)

The engine is intriguing and has a very nice power delivery. There are a few idiosyncrasies with the carbs but they're easy to overlook as the bike is so fun to ride.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Bill

The Vision is a fun bike to tinker with as it has some idiot-syncracy features.  Mine has a way of just about going down for the third time and then letting me fix her for some great riding.  I don't think you mentioned if yours is running or not.  If not running I think you should take the carbs off, throughly clean, and just see if you can get her to run.  A strong battery is also a must.  Mine was parked by prev. owner due to fried stator.  A common problem so I understand.  Another problem I ran into was oil leaking past the seal and filling the starter.  I tried to fix both problems myself but made the smart decision to take to a machine shop for impact screwdriver removal of the stator bolts and later for pressing on the new sleeve on the starter assembly.  You will have to do most fixes yourself but I was glad I sought professional help on those issues.  You are likely to have both those issues too. This forum is great because just about every situation has been discussed and fixes recommended. Get a Haynes manual and an extra helping of patience.  I look forward to hearing you've brought you V back to life and had a great first ride.   

Dean

Yes the forum sure is handy for reviewing past issues and how the issues were managed. 

The bike is not running and will not be running for a month or two...very cold and snowy right now. The story with the bike...was running well after the previous owner spent some money on electrical issues. The previous owner had any repairs done by a shop...not a DIY kind of guy. The bike has sat for two or three years and the owner was leaving the country. It isn't pretty but , like I previously mentioned, it is complete.

I drained the old gas; I was surprised that it didn't smell old.The engine does crank off a battery and the fuel tank doesn't leak. When it gets a little warmer I will be checking for spark, the carbs will be dismantled and cleaned, new brakes, wheel bearings and tires. My plan is to use it this spring to see how well I like it and if it is the bike I am hoping it is then make it a project for next fall/winter.

So right now I'm reading the forum...trying to get a handle on what I can expect. I will/do have some questions but I am using the search function first...if I don't find what I'm looking for I will be asking...

Kenny

Welcome Dean,
   Tiger is probably 3 hrs. southwest of you ,  when the sun comes out and the roads are clear he may want a ride up your way on his FJ. We used to live in Wooler (just outside Trenton) and had a few great rides up your way. How many klms. on your machine ? Once you get all the fuel system sorted you should separate all the electrical connectors clean them and put some dielectric grease on them , you may want to replace your fuse panel with spade type fuses , the ground connection below the left coil should also be cleaned.  Some folks run a separate ground to the starter , Tiger at one time made up the long lead that goes from the starter to the solenoid (he may still have some for sale). You will need to change  all your fluids (diff., fork, engine , antifreeze ,) I have switched to a gel battery and am on my sixth year of service. Also after you have cleaned your fuel system be sure to install a fuel filter , these carbs are very fussy when it comes to contaminants in the system . Have Fun !  ;) Cheers Ken S.   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92