How to make an electric arc furnace

Started by The Prophet of Doom, March 16, 2015, 03:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Rikugun

mmmm, zinc muffins!

That's pretty cool. I didn't think I had a need for something like this but now I'm trying to figure out what I can do with this info....
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

A regular MacGyver that chap, arc welders from microwave parts etc. I would be interested in doing something like this furnace but scaled up a bit. I am wondering what would be needed, more power, bigger carbon rods etc. Would be great to melt down some old Vision engines and turn them into vintage bike parts....where's that big stirring rod of mine? Ha ha ha.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Make sure you only melt down 83 Visions.  They have better quality aluminium.   8) 8) 8)

Rikugun

And be sure to add a wee bit of '36 Chevy piston - I think they have a bit of titanium in them.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Jirik

Rikugun

Quote from: Jirik on March 18, 2015, 08:36:14 AM
Rikugun:  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thank you Jirik!

Did you get the movie reference or find the comment humorous on it's own merit??

dingleberry

...worlds fastest vision? So I guess the molten 83s have a low viscosity  :laugh:
You like, oui?

Rikugun

Quote from: dingleberry on March 18, 2015, 08:55:22 PM
...worlds fastest vision? So I guess the molten 83s have a low viscosity  :laugh:

Well done sir!  :)

Jimustanguitar

"King of Random" has some awesome videos. I post a lot of his stuff to our makerspace's page. He's right up there with Ben Heck for good content every time.

http://www.facebook.com/themakerhive if you're curious about my maker and 3d printing habit.