News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Not to Old Yet!!!

Started by Old Man Zzzz, March 19, 2015, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man Zzzz

Hello everybody, not sure what I'm doing yet, just went out and horse traded for an 82 Vision, 11K on it....Haven't ridden in about 25years, so got start over.
But just wanted to get back on a bike again....Its in very good condition, only problem, broken RH Mirror. So been doing some research and have downloaded the
service and parts manuals.  Noticed most dealerships don't carry parts anymore....so guess I'm driving an antique now, and will have to scour the internet for parts.

What I would like to find is a place to get a good fairing and windshield to put on it....So any recommendations where to look would be appreciated.....

Bottom line is this is all leading up to me eventually getting a Trike. The Missus, won't ride on a bike, but wants a trike....So there you go....

Have a great weekend....

Re-Vision

skucera

Sounds like you're in the same situation I was in... hadn't ridden for almost 30 years, and got the motorcycling bug again.  I started over too, with the riding class at the local community college that wasn't quite required, but I found it very helpful.  I rode a little Ninja for a couple years before buying my Vision from a guy at work.

Windshields are a little harder to find now that these bikes are more than 30 years old themselves.  They can be found.  Generic windshields will fit.  Oh, here's an original '83 full fairing on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151567437392?lpid=82&chn=ps.  Google is amazing for turning up potential fairings.  Good luck.

Scott

Rikugun

Yes, Visions are old but there are a surprising number of parts still available through aftermarket and E-bay in the form of NOS and used. Fairings do come up for sale occasionally here in the Swap Shop and on E-bay as well.

The frame mounted fairing linked above requires (but does not show in the ad) some installations bits and brackets. I'd email the seller to be sure.

Share a picture of your bike if you can and welcome to the site.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Old Man Zzzz

Thanks for the Information, I will definitely post pictures when I get it cleaned up and running smooth. Pulled it out of an old barn, been sitting in there for 6+ years....Just drained the
gas tank today, squirted down the cylinders with oil, installed new Battery and rolled engine over....Ran out of light so on hold till next week....I work Sat thru Wed.....

Tiger

Welcome to the Vision camp fire ;D

Do you want a full fairing, (upper and lowers), or just a sport/shark style fairing ???

Where are you located?? There may well be a Visionary close by that could be of help to you in your quest to get your 'V' up and running/locating part(s).

Tiger.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jefferson

fret not

Does anyone know of a side car available for the XZ550?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I can't imagine there was ever a bolt on kit but certainly custom rigs are possible.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Bill

Six years in a barn sounds a lot like mine before I bought it.  If your Vision runs and charges, congratulations.  I found a complete disassembly of the carbs and an overnight soak in Pine Sol (or a cheap substitute from the Dollar Store) I mean soak the carbs, not yourself of course although that might be nice too.  I also had starter failure pretty soon after I got her running.  Filled with oil.  I think this is a fairly common problem but I fixed it with the kit I bought on Ebay.  Leaking petcock is another problem I had to deal with.  Don't fool with it.  Just buy a rebuild kit on Ebay, fix it, and move on.  Good luck with your Vision and please post with your problems and how you fix them.

Old Man Zzzz

Well guys n gals,

Back again, I was giving up on the Vision, so that's why I haven't posted in a while. Because, I found a sweet deal on a 83 Venture Royale. Running, ready to go. Fully dressed. So the choice was obvious at that time.
Well the owner came back at me with a deal on the Vision I couldn't refuse, (free), didn't tell him I was coming over to dicker some more anyway.
I just like the looks of the bike, even as old as it is, and as hard as it is to find parts. Kind of like restoring old classic cars, it has the appeal, and I want to see it run again. So once I get it home I will post some pics of current condition, and let you know how things go with getting it back up....

Steve

QBS

There's a lot V in the Venture engine  Take a look.  It's not hard to see.  V 550cc, Venture 1100cc.

Old Man Zzzz

Definitely agree with you on that, even the weight difference is telling. But been out riding it in non busy areas and feeling good about how it handles. Nice cruiser. Got a lot of respect for the big V.....The Vision will be my runabout....

Old Man Zzzz

Well finally got the Vision out of the barn, moved to my garage. Now begins the work.....
Here are the pictures....

Re-Vision

I'd say that you got a pretty clean bike. Hope you are riding soon.     BDC

skucera

You've got the twin of my bike, but in straighter condition.  I hope your restoration goes quickly as a result.

Scott