Rear axle torque/brake shoe plate

Started by VK, March 31, 2015, 12:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

I am reinstalling rear wheel.  After tightening  rear axle nut to 80 ft-lbs the brake shoe plate will not budge and thus I can't align to reattach brake rod and tension bar.  Is there something I've obviously done wrong or do I strike plate with rubber mallet to attempt to rotate and align properly?  I believe that I have followed steps described in the Haynes manual and factory manual, but this alignment issue is not mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have to offer.

VK

The Haynes manual indicates that tension bar should be connected AFTER the axle nut has be torqued.  I am now thinking that this must be in error as I do not see reference to this in the shop manual.  Am I correct that the sequence should be to connect tension bar and then tighten the axle bolt?

Re-Vision

Can't see how it would make any difference if you attached the tension bar before tightening the axle bolt. Try activating the rear brake while attempting to rotate the brake shoe plate.        BDC

Rikugun

It's normal for the backing plate to resist moving once it's pinched tight by the axle nut being torqued. Loosen the axle nut and rotate the brake backing plate until the brake stay bolt can be installed and do so. Snug the brake stay bolt and loosely assemble the brake rod, spring and adjusting nut a few turns.  Next torque the axle followed by the brake stay bolt or bolts if both have been loosened for wheel removal. Finally, adjust up the brakes and check the brake light switch adjustment while your at it.

Note, depending on how worn the shoes are it's sometimes helpful to loosely assemble the brake adjusting parts first, then the stay bolts, then torque the axle. Regardless of loose assembly sequence, final torque sequence is axle, brake stay bolts, then brake and switch adjustment.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

VK

Rikugun

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan