Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

You HAVE to get to those emulsion tubes. Don't worry about marring the the tops of the tubes. Just get a Dremel and cut a slot on the top and twist them out with a good flathead screwdriver. A little penetrating oil helps. If the carbs are totally dry, get a small butane torch and heat the tops of the emulsion tubes. That does wonders. Once out, have at it with a can of Gumout. Stick the plastic tube down into the tube hole (and the smaller hole that leads to the emulsion tube hole) and marvel at all the shit that comes out of there. Wear goggles.

A clogged emulsion tube left me stranded once. Carb shut down and I couldn't ride up the Palisades Cliffs to roll down the Cliffs again to get home. Had to call a flatbed and listen to the driver expound profusely on his Harley, which as it turns out, he knew nothing about.

Good thing the ride home was only three miles.

--Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Slav91

I got the emulsion tubes out days ago and it they were clean and fuel canals, sanded them a little bit with fine paper and now they get out with compresed air. Also soldered holes that I made to get them out(drill a hole and put screw inside). Now I re-adjusted the fuel level to 20-21 mm and changed the front spark plug. And try to start it and it started. It looks like the fuel level were not good because of different gasked thickness. Now it smokes a little bit probably because air-fuel mixture ain't good, but it is 10:26 pm here and I'm tirred gonna try that tomorow. Oh yeah and I turned the choke off and it was working normaly. So silocone on the out side of the boots did good on eliminating the air leak. :D There are one problem as I don' have coolant reservoir on it, and as soon as I started it gets some water out the small pipe, that didn't happen before, is it possible that I have some air in the system?
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

The Prophet of Doom

You need a coolant reservoir else you will overflow and then get air.  Not good.

The water cooling system has an air release bolt by the thermo sensor in the pipe just above the front cylinder.  You need to take that out, then top up till it's overflowing.  On  fresh coolant this may need to be done several times with a short ride in between - the trapped air is released by vibrations.

QBS

Note to all regarding carb jet installation:  When putting the carb jets into the carb body do not over tighten the jets into the carb body.  A gentle snug is all that they should have.  Killer tight is unnecessary and very counterproductive.  Remember the next person that will attempt to take that jet out is probably going to be you.

Slav91

Started the bike, it starts without choke, if I turn the choke on just a little bit rpm goes up and wild.  And first time i started just to touch the throtle it dies right away.
The front cylinder is going crazy, doesn't work some time then it does, it is like small puffs coming  from the exhaust of front cyl. from time to time. And exaust isn't hot. The gaps from the spark plugs should be 0.6 to 0.7 mm?
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Slav91

Gotta call priest. The bike is haunted. Doesn't even start now. I got big bangs from tlhe exaust of rear cyl .  The carbs got good level and clean 100%. Spark plugs have fuel on them and make sparks when outside and stiĺl doesn't start except big bang once in a while. ???

QBS

Check your battery charge.  Vs' demand strong batterys.   Below 11 volts it will crank but not fire the plugs.

Slav91

It uses support car battery, so thats ruled out. Maybe the spark plugs are problem.

QBS

Check the car support battery voltage.  Spark plugs are probably not the problem.