News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slav91

As far as I've could see only rust, no water or anything else.
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

Single Carb Vision

Did you try to turn it over with the plugs out, spark plugs

Single Carb Vision

With the spark plugs out, if there is water in the cylinder/s it will be able to turn over and pump out the water. You will still need to find out how or where the water leaked into the cylinders if that is what happened.

Single Carb Vision

If it isn't a water problem, did you try turning the engine backwards or pushing the bike backwards to see if something internally has jamed to stop it from turning forward but might be able to move in reverse???????

Re-Vision

Quote from: Slav91 on September 15, 2015, 01:43:28 PM
:( The pistons are stuck to cylinders, I don't understand how can that be in such short time (one month)? ???

Does anybody have an idea how to make it runing again without opening the engine?  ???

Try squirting automatic transmission fluid into the cylinders. I had an engine locked up from rust on the rings.       BDC

Slav91

Quote from: Single Carb Vision on September 15, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
If it isn't a water problem, did you try turning the engine backwards or pushing the bike backwards to see if something internally has jamed to stop it from turning forward but might be able to move in reverse???????

No I've haven't tried. I will try that tomorow if the WD-40 thing don't help. I have sprayed the whole can of WD-40 into each cylinder, hope that will work.

@Re-Vision
You mean ATF? I will try that, some say that its better to put petrol (old petrol lamps use that) into cylinders. Or even brake oil, but I think that to agresive for that use.
Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

devotee

50% ATF and 50% Acetone mix is almost as good as Kroil.
devotee
XZ550RK
XS750E
GL1000 (1976) project

Single Carb Vision

The older the ATF the better, it's thinner than new stuff.. And let it sit for a day or so

Single Carb Vision

Remember if the engine does free up, you'll be changing the oil before trying to start it again.

Slav91

Quote from: devotee on September 15, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
50% ATF and 50% Acetone mix is almost as good as Kroil.

I just google it and its called weasel piss and it looks like it works. :D I will buy acetone tomorow and make a mix of it. Look like its pretty strong liquid.

ArrrGeee

Quote from: Slav91 on September 15, 2015, 01:43:28 PM
I have a problem, one month ago my friend and I've tried to start the engine, and it was spining, but no luck.
Yesterday I transported the bike to local electrician, to connect disconected wires etc. And we tried to start the bike it didn't move!   :-[ So we get off the started and tried with small crowbar to move it and nothing! Even put it in third gear and push it. No luck there neither.  :( The pistons are stuck to cylinders, I don't understand how can that be in such short time (one month)? ???

Does anybody have an idea how to make it runing again without opening the engine?  ???

didn't you just have the left cover off to replace the stator ? 
I would probably start there, at least you can get a breaker bar on the flywheel.
good luck.

Slav91

The stator is changed and its all assembled.
Well no luck with WD-40 thing.  :( I have putted ATF in both cylinders and gonna leave it for couple of days when electrician finish his part of job then I will have one less thing to worry about.  :P And if ATF doesn't help does anyone have a tutorial how to dissasemble cylinders? I mean about the details, what I should be carefull about.

Slav91

Update

All electric thing are finish, and we got it un-freezed, with help of starter and third get, he throw all ATF in the air. :D
But there is a sound comming from the back cylinder, something like clic clack  when we starting it. Hope its just camshaft and need just oiling a bit. :P

Slav91

I have tried to start it, and there is white smoke comming from the exaust and from carburator air intake, there was two (bangs from the exaust) does anybody knows what it is about the smoke thing?

Re-Vision

Slav91

I tried againt to started it,  and again there are bangs, but smoke comes only from the exaust of rear cylinder.
But i thinkg i have another problem, did anyone have a problem with oil moisturizing in front of the radiator? There were ATF all around the bike, but i don't see how can it be in front of the radiator, is it possible that one cylinder seal broke and mix up oil and watter?

NITROPOLIS

Is the smoke white? or blue?
pull the rear plug and check for rust on the electrode.
Check the radiator for sludge on the cap.
You might have a leaky head gasket.
That might be why the motor was frozen in the first place. :'(

fret not

Slav91, I think you need a repair manual.  It sounds to me that you will be taking the rear cylinder apart.  That probably means to remove the engine from the frame.

Turning the key on and off can cause a cylinder to fire with a big BANG!
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

@NITROPOLIS
The smoke is white. The rear plus isn't rusty inside, but outside of cylinder. And here are the pictures of radiator cap and radiator hole.  It looks ok to me.

Here are the pic of front side of the radiator.  :P

@Fret nut
I only have service manual print.  :D Looks like I'm gonna need printing repair manual lol.  :P
I have conected gauge today, and it looks that some of the lamps don't work. Does anyone know where should the wires from the gauges go into chassy?

I just putted mine like this, there are not long enought to put them like other ones from headlight and control buttons.  ???

fret not

Salv91, the 'clicking' sound may be the valves need adjustment, . . . or it may mean the rear connecting rod has bad bearings.  I would check the valve clearances first.  Also check the cam chain adjusters for proper tension of the cam chain.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!