News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Just got XZ 550

Started by Slav91, March 31, 2015, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

The way it is cranking I would say the voltage is too low to get a spark. See what the battery voltage is while cranking. The stream out of the front carb look fine, but I never saw anything come out of the rear one.

Slav91

Quote from: jefferson on October 19, 2015, 05:58:03 PM
The way it is cranking I would say the voltage is too low to get a spark. See what the battery voltage is while cranking. The stream out of the front carb look fine, but I never saw anything come out of the rear one.

Thats because I didn't pull the throtle when I was videotaping rear one. Any advice how to start engine with empty carbs? Is there any preparations? And can I use battery from car? Will it make any damage to XZ electrics?
And one more thing, were does the hose from bottom of fuel pump plug in?

Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

QBS

Start by reading reply #67, dated Oct. 6 in this thread.

Slav91

I hope this is connected good on manifold of rear cylinder, I have two connector for hose.

I have a problem, this is the carburator fuel level, on rear cylinder carb I have fuel, its in the level with the gasket. And on front I don't have, at least on that plastic hose connector thing, I have unscrewed the drain screw and I got fuel comming out of it, but none from white/brown hose connector.  ???

Yes as a matter of fact I do know what I'm doing! Now get back in case it blows up..

jefferson

When you use a hose like that to read your float level you have to be very careful that the hose doesn't move. Hold the hose immobile and then open the screw to see where the level is. If the hose is moved and more fuel flows into it and then it is put back in place the level will be high. Just wanted to make that point just in case.

Slav91

Should both spark plugs give spark at the same time? O.o Maybe thats the problem.   :-\

QBS

Double spark is normal for the V design.  Investigate "wasted spark" on this forum.

fret not

Wasted spark is every 360 degree cycle of the crankshaft(one rotation) for each cylinder, but front and rear are not at the same time, 70 degrees of crank rotation between the front and real sparks.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Slav91

When I try to start the bike, fuel should come out from the nozzle which is in the center ?

fret not

The nozzle where the accelerator pump squirts fuel is the copper colored tube with a 90 degree bend, just on the left side (9:00 on the clock face) of the center of the venturi. It is sticking out of the side wall of the carb throat and pointing down into the carburetor throat.

Nice picture, very clear.

Slav91

Quote from: fret nut on November 15, 2015, 12:27:00 AM
Wasted spark is every 360 degree cycle of the crankshaft(one rotation) for each cylinder, but front and rear are not at the same time, 70 degrees of crank rotation between the front and real sparks.

Can I activate the sparks when I turn crankchaft manualy if the ignition button is ON?
Haven't messing with the bike lately, got VW Corrado project (my old wish) and the bike is like it was at the previous owner in the corner. Last time I tried to start it the battery when dead after a few turns,  can I use car battery? It has 12v 55 Ah 480 A (EN) tech data.

fret not

I think it is very difficult to turn the crankshaft by hand fast enough to cause the ignition pulse coils to generate a pulse.  However, I have not tried to do this.

Ken Williams

If your battery is that close to dead, you likely won't see any spark because there won't be sufficient battery voltage to generate sparks.  Although I have not tried, with an adequately charged battery I think one should be able to see sparks as the crankshaft is turned manually.  You likely won't though, until you increase your battery voltage.  You can connect a car battery to your Vision to aid starting. 

Slav91

I have tried to start it, but some fog is going from carburator of back cylinder. It looks like its going from one of those three holes that are aside on carburator. Maybe the carburator is jammed from like 5 months staying? I have putted car battery on charging, hope I will have time tomorow to clean the carbs and try it again.

Here is the video, it is more visible when I put air filther on.

http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/Felony-14/Yamaha%20XZ550%20bobber/Ex.mp4

jefferson

The fog is vaporized gasoline. You should have it in both of the carbs so it sounds like there may not be fuel in the front carb or it is not making it through the passages.

Slav91

Yeah the front carb was dry, and it only came from the rear one. Is that vaporizing normal?

Ken Williams

I do not recall seeing that much vapor coming out of the carburetors during starter cranking on the Vision or any other motorcycle.  Does the engine have decent compression?  Could valves on the rear cylinder be leaking or out of proper time? 

Slav91

Today i started fully to dissasemble the carburators and this thing broke.  :-\  Hope I find a way to fix it, and there is another problem, the ball from accelerator  nozzle  is missing, last time I've dissasemble carburators haven't touch the accelerator  nozzles so probably previous mechanics lost it.  The spark of front cyl was dry and from the rear cyl was wet from gas.
And when I open carburator heads, there was uneven gasoline in float chambers, is there anything especialy that I should look for cleaning?

And one more thing, how can I take off float bowl from carburator head? I want to clean the jets behind them.

Slav91

Yeah and I have one question, is it normal to sparks goes on when ignition is ON but without pushing the start button?  ??? Because they do that on my bike in some time interval.  :P

QBS

Believe it or not, yes....sometimes.  Also, be very very careful in removing the float pivot pen.  They do not come out intuitively.  If removal is improperly attempted, it is very easy to break one of the float pedestals.  If that happens, a product called JB Weld can probably glue it back together.

Can another Vnary please explain to Slav91 how to remove the pivot pin correctly, without breaking it.  qbs.