new owner of 82 xz550

Started by Spitzen Mcgruder, August 13, 2015, 03:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitzen Mcgruder

Hello all! First off id like to say thanks for the approval to the ROV site! I'm stoked about being a part of the vision community. I'm a professional mover and I got this bike from a customer as a tip and it was not running. The guy said he bought it as a project and knew nothing about mechanics. Since he never could get it running his wife made him get rid of it and I was in the right place at the right time! After I got it home I found that the starter was missing. So I tracked one down in New Hampshire (I'm from Texas) and once I installed it all I had to do was unstick a float valve in a car and it fired right up!! Now I need to clean the carbs thoroughly and track down the side covers and radiator cover. Its in amazing shape for a free find. I grew up riding dirt bikes but this is my first street bike and I love it. I have a question as well, when I take off from first gear it will sometimes act like it wants to die. It bogs down hard and very slowly accelerates. This only happens when taking off from a stopped position, is this the "vision stumble" that I have red about or a product of dirty carbs? And tiger I will update my profile when I get home. I'm on my cell now and can't access the tab  to modify. Thanks again guys and I look forward to getting to know you all. I'll post pics of my bike when I get home too.
When the shit is about to hit the fan, step out from under the fan...

Re-Vision

I can get you a radiator cover. Would like to know if you are close to DFW area?     BDC

Spitzen Mcgruder

Sorry so long to respond, work ramped up something fierce. Hell I'm at work now lol. I'm in san Antonio actually and thanks for the response

Spitzen Mcgruder

ive been tinkering with this and that as i have a little time and still when i take off outta first gear the bike will sometimes bog down instead of getting moving, once in a while it will die but most of the time it just very slowly rises in RPMs. is this the "Vision Stumble" ive herd of? also how much for the radiator cover Re-Vision?

jefferson

It does sound like a good carb cleaning and adjustment is in order to get the thing to accelerate without falling on it's face. Do you have the updated carb with the vacuum operated flapper door on the airbox.

Re-Vision

I sent you a PM several days ago.

Quote from: Spitzen Mcgruder on August 23, 2015, 06:59:36 PM
also how much for the radiator cover Re-Vision?

BDC

Spitzen Mcgruder

Yes I do have the flapper in the airbox. Also that brings up another question about fine tuning the carbs. Is that done by adjusting the screw that runs though it above the diaphragm? And would that help regulate the rpms? It tends to take a good 30-60 sec to calm down to 1.5k rpm idle, working its way down from say 3-4k as if it were still choked.

Bill

Just make sure carbs are very clean with needle valve and floats working properly.  Every hole in carbs blown out with air.  No vacuum leaks.  Set up just like the manual says.  This is what makes my V run smooth and steady with no stumble.  I don't think I'll ever love the Mikuni carbs but I have come to respect them. 

jefferson

I would start by capping off the ports to the YICS and then spraying things down looking for a vacuum leak. Remember too that the petcock is vacuum actuated and could be leaking. Concentrate on the manifolds and butterfly shaft seals. Put the petcock on prime and remove the vacuum line and plug the port to check for leaks in the petcock or tubing.