Main Menu

Forum Check

Started by cvincer, November 09, 2015, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

For the last 8 days not a single posting to the forum ......at least when accessed here in Australia. This posting to check if things

are still working.   Anybody out there?

PwrManDan

The Prophet of Doom

It was pretty quiet this time last year as well.

Myself, I've done nothing much worth posting about.  It's spring now so working on the bike is much more pleasant.

cvincer

fret not

It's just going into the cold season here.  Maybe I can clear out all the guitars and mandolins from my shop so I can get the time to work on my XZ.  I have a looooooong list of things to do. :police:

I just recently renewed my driver License, good for another 5 years with no restrictions. :angel:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

dingleberry

Have noticed it's a bit quiet as well. I'm renewing my licence here in NZ too fret. Lasts for 10 years before the powers that be demand more money. Have to go see my sexy doctor for a medical so I can have heavy truck endorsed on my licence. Hopefully those days are well behind me but you never know when it might be useful. on the XZ front, nothing to report as usual, although I did dabble in fitting the engine to a gsxr250 aluminium frame. Looks like an easy fit with the rear mount lining up perfectly but as I'm getting rid of all my jap bikes and parts it will probably not come to anything. Most of my energy lately has been put to use hunting for BSA Sloper parts.
You like, oui?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: dingleberry on November 10, 2015, 04:29:02 AM
Have noticed it's a bit quiet as well. I'm renewing my licence here in NZ too fret. Lasts for 10 years before the powers that be demand more money. Have to go see my sexy doctor for a medical so I can have heavy truck endorsed on my licence. Hopefully those days are well behind me but you never know when it might be useful. on the XZ front, nothing to report as usual, although I did dabble in fitting the engine to a gsxr250 aluminium frame. Looks like an easy fit with the rear mount lining up perfectly but as I'm getting rid of all my jap bikes and parts it will probably not come to anything. Most of my energy lately has been put to use hunting for BSA Sloper parts.
It's unfair to say things like "gsxr250 aluminium frame" without posting evidence.  I know you have pics

allstateguy

recovering slowly from lumbar surgery. I really want to rebuild the 83 carb and put it on the 82 and have some smooth miles ahead of me. All else is ready.

Blake

I'm still hanging around too.  I've been trying to get the car projects out of the way before winter sets in, so i can then hibernate in the garage with the vision and finally put it back together in time for winter.  The engine is all buttoned up, but like normal, I keep acquiring new parts and modifying it further.  It'll be a fun winter.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

skucera

I'm in the same situation.  My bike is off the road, so I don't have anything to contribute, so I just check in every now and then.  And yeah, the sound of crickets gets loud in here every now and then.

Scott

ArrrGeee

Quote from: allstateguy on November 10, 2015, 03:17:25 PM
recovering slowly from lumbar surgery. I really want to rebuild the 83 carb and put it on the 82 and have some smooth miles ahead of me. All else is ready.

glad you are on the mend.

so, interestingly I just pulled the 83 carbs off to run a set of 82's
they are near perfect with the exception of them wanting to percolate when really hot ( ethanol I suspect )
I had the same sort of problem with the 83's plus the 82 tank has pushed me into trying it.

I dropped the floats about 2mm with a small improvement but not quite perfect.
one of my neighbors suggesting buy gas at the local airport due to the availability of non-gasahol.
so I wondered what  anyone is doing to deal with it.

-R

pullshocks

Could you describe what you mean by "percolating?"

Getting the float levels right is a bitch, see my thread "solution for float level adjustment vexation"

When it is really hot, maybe the change in fuel density allows the floats to sink lower, translating to a higher fuel level....

Supposedly the reason they went to the fuel return line on the 83s was to keep (relatively) cooler fuel coming in to the carbs.

Wow....I sure do miss being a Vision owner.

ArrrGeee

to put it simply. when fuel boils in your carburetor.

to make matters worse, ethanol alcohol lowers the boiling point of gasoline.

I'm not having a problem with the float levels, on the contrary the
issue is on a hot day when it gets good and heat soaked say in stop and go traffic
the fuel will start boiling in the carbs making the engine start to run rough and want to stall.
this isn't anything new per se and certainly isn't limited to the vision but, seems to be more pronounced lately.

back when cars had carburetors ( wow did I really say that ? )  they would put an insulating
spacer in between the manifold and the carburetor to prevent heat transfer that would cause the same thing.

my neighbor who is a pilot, owns an 80's honda vfr that has the same issue when he runs the E10
that is at the pumps.
perhaps it is more pronounced here in the northeast, I read where they change the fuel blend
in the cooler weather, although it hasn't really gotten cold yet here.

my local bike store pushes the star tron stuff that states that it will fix the issues with ethanol gas.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Reviews/936/29285/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment

http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Tron-Gasoline-Additive/dp/B002E9A6PO

I haven't tried it yet I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and what steps they were taking...

peace.

ArrrGeee

Guerrero

He guyz, long time have not been here. Some people from facebook vision page say, that it is impossible to register on ROV, they got no answers. Maybe some1 can work with that?

Have a great day, Tom

Walt_M.

Wow, things have really slowed down over here. Find a gas station or 3 that sell non-ethanol marine fuel and be happy. There is a site, Puregas.com I think that lists the stations in the US and Canada.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Single Carb Vision

In the OLD DAYS on cars, it was called Vapor Locking. People would wrap aluminum foil around the fuel line to the carburetor other would put rubber insulation on the line I even remember seeing a row of wooden clothes pins clipped  to the fuel line.

Walt_M.

I think the electric fuel pump will solve the problem on mine.  The fuel boils, the vapor goes out the vent, the pump refills the float bowls. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

Single Carb Vision

Electric or mechanical, all they do is pump fuel.

Walt_M.

The engine doesn't have to be running for the electric one to pump. Also great for cold starts, I have one on my TDM so I know.
Whale oil beef hooked!