News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Helmets Work!!

Started by dtknox, July 26, 2003, 09:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtknox

I was out for a ride today, going north, on a road that runs along the old Ohio Canal. This road is very popular with local curser rides; it gently curves back and forth as it makes it way through the valley.

There were two Harley, in the oncoming lane and just as we were going to pass, the car in front of the Harley slowed down.  One of the Harley swerved to the right, dropped a wheel off the shoulder, cut back on to the road and went down.  The driver landed on her left side, hitting her knee, elbow and head, just I rode buy. I stopped and ran back to help. The fall did shake her up but she was not badly hurt.

The one this that she did right, was that she was wearing a helmet. She will have to buy a new helmet, because it took a beating.  The helmet was scratched up starting at the lower left chin bar, over the face shield and up over the left side (over the eye brow and above the left eye).  I would have hated to see what she would of looked like if she did not have a helmet.

This is just one more time that I have seen how well a helmet works.  I will not ride without one.

Ride Safe,

Dale
Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

Lucky

QuoteThis is just one more time that I have seen how well a helmet works.  I will not ride without one.
Neather will she!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

sdinino

Reading this confirms again for me that the full face is the way to go. I never see a Harley rider out here in Orange County wearing anything but those skull-cap type helmets, which are more fashion statements than protection. They only way they'll help is if someone drops a baseball out of an airplane onto your noggin.

I'm unhappy about not being able to talk my wife into a full face - she says she's 'claustrophobic'. She's going to be way more claustrophobic if they have to put a cast on her head!  >:( .

-- Steve D

scootertramp

I always ride with a heavy leather riding jacket, engineer boots and long pants. I wear a helmut and I have put a couple of bikes down. I was wearing gloves and leathers and helmut and everything got banged up and I was bruised but not seriously hurt.
wear PROTECTION from road rash. VROOM!
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Jim

I have been riding since I was 4 years old Dad preached Helmets Helmets Helmets.  I didn't always listen as most kids don't. one such incident almost cost me my life caught a barb-wire fence when I was eight.  Witenesses say you could see my jugular vein beating.  Luckily i was spared.  When I was out of the hospital and healed Dad never yelled or beat me, he simply got my healmut and slipped it on me to show me the helmet would have saved me from a scar that will last a lifetime.........

whatisthis

Dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Silver_Bullet

Just attended Basic Police Motorcycle Operators training, watched an officer lock up front wheel and rode it to the ground.  Was only going 5-10 mph when he hit the concrete, but helmet took a hard hit.  Seen more than 35 fatalities in 25 years of being a cop.  Seatbelts and helmets, seatbelts and helmets...can't say it enough.  I will remember your phrase, "Dress for the crash, not the ride."  Good words.  Stay safe, ride careful.  I still need a lot of help with my bike, and so far it's been a huge joint effort :).

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Lucky

More proof that Harley riders have thick skulls (& hence don't think they need 'em):
My neighbor across the street doesn't ride his hog with a helmet (or long pants, jacket or even closed shoes)
And he's an EMT!!!
Of course he won't ride with me either, which is just as well, I don't want to be the one picking him up with a mop... idiot.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black