News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gas tank repair

Started by mdskinner731, December 17, 2015, 01:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdskinner731

Doing a Quick google search online and these guys popped u... http://www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm

Has anyone ever used them for a rusty vision tank??
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

fret not

Have you checked eBay for a replacement tank?  You could get a nice tank for less than the repair would cost.  I got one from Germany a couple years ago.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

mdskinner731

I've looked around from time to time.    I was mainly asking because there are not a lot of good tanks for sale all the time.   I have 5 tanks my self and most of them show signs of leaks in the near future.  Someone who could restore tanks would be great in the long run. Especially since good tanks are hard to find!!
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

fret not

One serious drawback of the Vision tanks is the very thin metal.  Once it gets rusty the holes can appear all too soon, so prevention of the rust in the first place should be the intent.  Also, any bead blasting can easily distort the thin metal and cause it to bulge, so be careful of that when considering the repair system you mentioned.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Blake

Looking at what they do/ what their charging, take your bike and tank to a local bike shop and have a competent welder put on a completely new bottom half, and fix the holes in the top half.  That's the only way you're ever going to completely find and fix all of the rust on out tanks.  It's thin metal, but its nothing a tig welder can't easily handle.  Might even be able to get more volume out of it too.  I'm not running an airbox on my bike, so forming the bottom half is a lot easier than most(I can just use the frame rails), but just by looking at all the areas that you would never be able to see without taking it completely apart, i feel it's definitely worth the effort if you really want to eradicate any future problems.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Blake on December 18, 2015, 02:35:44 PM
i feel it's definitely worth the effort if you really want to eradicate any future problems.
+1
And all the seams need to be re-welded else they can split open and ruin your expensive paint job.

kwells

For Future tank liner searches

If the tank doesn't have huge dents in them that can be bondo'd of course. If it is rusty a small amount of jb weld can be used on the outside of the tank to psuedo seal the leaks. Then use a heavy duty degreaser to get all the fuel based gunk out, followed by a muratic acid wash(50-50 water to acid). Caswells 2 part epoxy tank liner is by far the most superior liner I've ever used. Whatever you do, don't use Kreem. POR15 is ok but race fuel & fuel additives can degrade it.

Once you have it all sealed up you can grind down the outer layer of jbweld and paint to your color. The tank will then easily outlast the bike.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com